Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fone
Snake Mite

Ireland
21 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  20:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I live in Ireland.

I always go in and have a look at the reptiles in my local pet shop. I went in on Monday, and they must have been just after getting a new order in. soo many snakes!! they have lots of little glass tanks. about 1 foot long, half a foot wide. the corn snakes, there is 6 hatchlings - maybe not hatchlings, but very small - in the one tank, no hide, and on sand. I went in Monday and there were 3 shedded skins in there. and I went in again on Saturday and they were still there.

they also have tortises and bearded dragons in the same tank. (about 6 of each) and then 2 royal pythons (both about 2 foot, maybe more) in one of these little tanks. loads of different types of snakes, one of them looked dead, and had clearly been bitten by the other one in its tank. (which wasn't even the same type of snake. a python and a king snake together) not one snake had a hide. and their water bowls were disgusting.

also in one of these small tanks i counted about 12 gecko's (maybe more, they were moving fast) walking all over the backs of 4 tortises, and over a plastic container containing a spider, and another with a scorpian.

They also have quite a few fish tanks, and there is always at least 1 dead fish every time I go in.

I really want to report this pet shop. but who do I report it to, it makes me sick.

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  20:47:38  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OMG! Reading that made me feel really angry, you can phone any local animal rescue shelter and they will either deal with this or pass the info on to people who can.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

fone
Snake Mite

Ireland
21 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  20:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks. they have always had a few snakes, but never more than 1 per tank. (unless its babys) but i have never seen them put different animals and breads in together.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  21:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.ispca.ie/

Thats the Irish Society for the prevention of cruelty to animals.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  21:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try phoning the DSPCA if your in Dublin I used to volunteer with them and they are great

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon - Lola
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
0.0.2 Fish - Daisy & Alfie
1.1.0 Kids - Cían and Erin
1.0.0 - Very understanding hubby
Go to Top of Page

fone
Snake Mite

Ireland
21 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  21:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not in Dublin unfortunately, I'm in cork.
There isn't and ISPCA here, but I emailed them anyway, and asked if there is anyone in cork they could recommend me contacting as well.
I'm going back in to take photos the next chance I get. I will just have to pretend to txt, because I have seen the owner ask people not to take photos.

just makes me wanna take them all home and give them to people who will look after them properly.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  18:26:11  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fone

just makes me wanna take them all home and give them to people who will look after them properly.

Please don't do this. As harsh as it may sound, your cash will be spent on buying in more stock that will be kept in exactly the same conditions so will achieve nothing other than line the pockets of a bad shop :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  18:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Local newspaper might be interested if you get no luck with anyone.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  19:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah defo report them to someone. That's awful.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Egg

Germany
50 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  20:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar issue here, but not as extreme as what you've experienced. I actually phoned the guy up a few days later to tell him that mixing snakes of different species and ages in one viv was a seriously bad idea and gave him some advice which he was polite enough about. I don't know what he said when he put the phone down though.
You're lucky. In Britain and Ireland you can report it to an organization. We've got no one here in Germany.
When I see any exotics in pet shops I always wonder who would by them. When it's gone I always wonder who bought it and what kind of life will it have.
If you can find someone to report him to do it. This is the sort of stuff I'd like to see much more strictly regulated.
Go to Top of Page

fone
Snake Mite

Ireland
21 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  16:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gunna give it a week for the ISPCA to get back to me.
if not im friends with someone in the local newspaper.

I went back in today and it was alot cleaner than at the weekend.
i took a few photos, while trying to hide it from the guy. but they no longer have different species in the same tank. they are still squashed tho. like 6 baby corns in one tank. (and I was looking at the heat mats, they cover the whole bottom of the whole tank, not just half of it)

once i get on my other computer I will upload the few photos to see what you guys think.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000