Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 COULD DO WITH A LITTLE HELP/ADVICE PLEASE!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kayla cee
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  10:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had Candy for about a month now and she is still refusing food. When we first got her the previous owner told me he was feeding her 2 large mice every 4weeks and that she was due to be fed that weekend, when she refused her feed we left a a few days and tried again but with no luck, being a little concerned we took her to our local reptile store were he looked her over and said she was in the first stages of shed and not to worry. However Candy shed about a week ago now and is still refusing food, she show a slight interest has a smell then turns away.

I have tried a number of different strategies including braining placing her in a tub with the bait in a dark room and leaving alone for a number of hours and also leaving the bait in her viv over night ect. ect. nothing seems to work!!!

She is in the same set up her previous owner had her in and her temps are fine i am unsure of her age she is around 4 and a half feet long.
Other than this problem she seem a happy healthy snake, very active always at the glass and loves to be handled.
A good weight and drinking fine. However she has only pooed twice!!

I'm not very good with maths but with my calculations i would say she has now had no food for around 8weeks is this normal or am i right to be worrying Sorry for the story above but any help or advice would be really appreciated many thanks

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  10:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I she definatley a female?

Just wondering as an active snake refusing food sounds like a lot of adult males on the forum around this time of year.
Go to Top of Page

kayla cee
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  10:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Louise erm if i am totally honest am not to sure just going with the information her previous owner gave me, is there any way i can check this myself? and if not were would i be able to get this checked?
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  11:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the totally normal fasting period that horny males seem to go into at this time of year, I've a 7 month old who has gone off food these past few weeks, he's no way near breeding age/size but its in the air and he knows it.

You can get your snake probed to establish sex, your local reptile shop should be able to do it for a small fee or there is always the exotics vet who will charge you a little bit more but will check her/him? over for you.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  12:58:04  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it could be seasonal, or it could be husbandry.......
what is your set-up like? how is the heat provided and controlled? what are the temps? how are you defrosting and then heating the mouse?

i think getting it sexed it irrelevant tbh females can go off their food as well as males this time of year, i would certainly not be handling it until its taken at least 3 consecutive feeds though

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kayla cee
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  21:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

it could be seasonal, or it could be husbandry.......
what is your set-up like? how is the heat provided and controlled? what are the temps? how are you defrosting and then heating the mouse?

i think getting it sexed it irrelevant tbh females can go off their food as well as males this time of year, i would certainly not be handling it until its taken at least 3 consecutive feeds though

Hi GP the heat is provided by a heat mat and is controlled by a thermostat it is currently 81 at her hot end and i am unsure about the cold end as i need a new thermometer. There is also and energy saving bulb situated in the middle of the viv that is turned on during the day. Two hides at either end a fairly large water bowl and a large branch for climbing.

As for feeding i leave the mice to defrost at room temp for around 3-4 hours, and heat them up by placing them on a hot water for around 5-10mins.

I never handle her on the day i plan feeding her however i will take you advice... No handling until she taken at least 3 consecutive feeds.

Thanks for your advice it is much appreciated
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  06:45:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
your set-up and temps sound fine

your defrosting sounds fine

but i think you might be cooking the mice! try a quick (30 second) blast with a hairdryer immediately before offering it to your snake. we have a dedicated 'snake hair dryer' lol cos i don't want to have mousey/ratty/rabbity hair!

depending on what substrate you use i'd leave the mouse in with your snake overnight (if you don't get a strike feed) and cover the viv with a sheet or towel and no peeking till morning

i would also only try a feed every 5-7 days, offering more often could be stressful for your snake. good luck and keep us posted!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kayla cee
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  10:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by gingerpony

your

but i think you might be cooking the mice! try a quick (30 second) blast with a hairdryer immediately before offering it to your snake. we have a dedicated 'snake hair dryer' lol cos i don't want to have mousey/ratty/rabbity hair!

depending on what substrate you use i'd leave the mouse in with your snake overnight (if you don't get a strike feed) and cover the viv with a sheet or towel and no peeking till morning

thanks GP.. so hair dryer it is then lol.
I have previously tried leaving the mouse in with her overnight without success, however the viv was not covered so this may have been the problem. I will leave her a few more days and then try her again with your suggestions, fingers crossed they work!

will let you's know how things go, and yet again thanks for your advice it is VERY much appreciated
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000