New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kazzyrf
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  12:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi am looking for advice, i am looking after a Royal Python while her owners are on holiday. She is very socialable but wont feed! Had her since last sunday and was due to be fed on wed, tried and she ignored it. Tried again last night and even brained the mouse, again she ignored it. She is about 2ft long and quite fat so not worried about her losing weight. Have her for just over another week and hoping she feeds before they come back.
Any ideas that may help would be appreciated. Never have any probs with my corns feeding

mod edit: moved to other reptile section

Edited by - gmac on 20/03/2011 13:53:05

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  13:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming she's come to your house from your friends, yeah?
The stress of moving to a different place could have put her off her food - exactly the same reason that people need to leave new snakes alone for a week to settle in .

I've never been a snake-sitter for anybody, but if i were you i'd treat her as if she was a new snake and leave her with no handling for a while.
If she doesnt feed then its nothing to worry about anyways; a couple of weeks without food is nothing for a royal!

Edited by - Figs on 20/03/2011 13:35:33
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  13:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
royals arent as hardy as corns, they do stress easily and can and do go of feeding.

Do not handle the royal it is getting used to new smells, I wouldnt worry too much about it not feeding it is one of the things they do very well. Just make sure it has enough water.

Don't do anything to prepare the prey item that the owners don't do, it may make it harder for them to get it eating again.

Go to Top of Page

kazzyrf
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  14:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for getting back to me. Had done some research and thought it was prob caused by her being moved. Will leave her and maybe try again next weekend : )
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  13:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try making sure the food is hot too, and another thing that might cause issues is what she's used to being fed, its difficult to switch from mice to rats and vice versa

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  13:48:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kazzyrf

She is very socialable but wont feed!

read "she is very socialable therefore wont feed"

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kazzyrf
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  22:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on Rosie ... took advice and left her alone and she fed last night! Thanks for the advice. I wldnt have worried if it had been one of my corns but as only looking after Rosie wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000