home grown mice n mammates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  09:55:37  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
Its been a while since I posted n last post was about my breeding my own snake food.
Well since setting up my tubs n getting my original breeders everything has gone brilliantly, I have even supplied to a few people locally. Can defo say if u have more than two snakes its defo worth contemplating rearing your own, what was costing me £100 a month now costs me £30 a quarter, yeah takes time and effort but I have noticed my mice are considerably bigger than any large mice I ordered in.I know the conditions they r kept in and what they eat. So tbh its a win win situation with a bit of time n patience.

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  14:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no idea where you were getting your food sourced but £100 pounds a month for a few snakes (assuming all your snakes are in your sig) is ridiculous.

I have 19 and it costs me that for 3 months supply for them.

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  14:46:49  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok just looked at prev receipts its more like £75 but still a lot of money, n dependant on where u are /quantities ordered etc will determine prices.There aren't local suppliers sts round here, n companies I was using were starting to get pricey.So to save on all areas I breed my own.

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney

Edited by - punumbear on 20/03/2011 14:47:41
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  15:58:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It only cost me like £30 every 3/4 months for 5 snakes atm o.o;;

Hate to think how much your mices were! Having 5 snakes that eat mice I don't think rearing my own would be efficient plus it would be too time consuming for me XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  11:26:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

Can defo say if u have more than two snakes its defo worth contemplating rearing your own, what was costing me £100 a month

quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

Ok just looked at prev receipts its more like £75 [per month]

our feeding bill for 10 corns/rats, 8 boas and 3 carpet pythons (and the majority of them are adults) is only about £75 a quarter.............

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  18:19:49  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And...... as also stated depends where u are I'm near London so things get expensive,therefore was stating breeding my own work out better.

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  07:15:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok for a month's supply, and just estimating that yours are a variety of sizes so a variety of different sized mice are needed:
20 x regular 13.00
20 x small 7.50
20 x fuzzies 7.00
delivery 9.99
TOTAL £37.49

half your revised monthly feeding bill and a lot less hassle/smell than breeding your own mice........i'd get ordering from TSM!!!

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  08:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am breeding my own mice. Only just started but have had to pay out just inder £15 to get me started, that includes food and bedding for the mice which will last probably 6 months. There will be no other costs!

So far the mice don't smell half as bad as I expected. For me it will work out cheaper but it's not just the cost, it's the convenience.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  08:47:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i did last year but the males were really smelly when they got to breeding age. a pet shop local to me only sells females now as they got too many males returned when they reached adulthood!
it was good having them to start with but as they were purely food and not pets it ended up being a hassle and when i'd got the 2 boas that were on live onto defrost i just didn't fancy keeping it going

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  11:46:25  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gp I have used tsm they r good but my mice are bigger in size, very friendly, but I still prefer to breed my own n the smell is nothing to what I thought it would be.I manage to sell a lot also and cull surplus males, works well for me so defo agree with Louise .

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000