New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NikkiLian
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  19:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Medusa, my new baby Reverse Okeetee, has been with us for a week now so i got to hold her properly for the first time today. When i first got her, she bit me 3 times just trying to put her in her faun! So today i went to get her out for a 'cuddle' and i was sooooo nervous! ha ha I've got 4 other snakes (snow corn, carolina corn, MBK and a royal) and i've never been nervous in the slightest handling any of them. But when i opened the lid to get her out, she assumed the strike position, hissed at me and rattled her tiny tail like mad! I'm such a wuss!! Dunno what it is, think it's coz she's so tiny and wicked fast! (or maybe i'm just a big girl!) Anyway, i managed to handle her, and although she was as nervous as me, she didnt bite and soon calmed down Anyone else find the babies more nerve wracking than the biggies???

Nikki

0.0.1 Carolina corn~Loki
0.1.0 Snow Corn~Isis
0.0.1 Anery Corn~Midnight
0.0.1 Amel~Medusa
0.0.1 MBK~ Chaos
0.0.1 Royal ~ Sobek
1.2.0 cats~Frosty,Pickle, Ziggy
2.1.0 little monsters ~ Taylor, Kaiden, Leah
1.0.0 understanding husband ~ Craig

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  19:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh,heh she sounds like a little snake with a lot of character.
I was exactly the same when I first got Loki. Although he never even went into the strike position I used to be shaking the first few times I went to get him out as he was so tiny I was scared of hurting him.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  19:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm always cautious when handling a new snake for the first few times, I'm not scared of them or even taking a bite from them but you just don't know how they will react those first few times. Its kinda fun.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

NikkiLian
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  19:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah i think thats what it is. i'm not bothered about being bitten, or should i say headbutted with corns!, it's more that she's so tiny and fast and i'm worried that i'll jump when she bites and hurt her! I've been spoiled with my other snakes coz they're all so laid back! Now i've got one with a bit of attitude!lol It's all fun!

Nikki

0.0.1 Carolina corn~Loki
0.1.0 Snow Corn~Isis
0.0.1 Amel~Medusa
0.0.1 MBK~ Chaos
0.0.1 Royal ~ Sobek
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  19:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Royal is very jumpy and tried to bite a few days ago, but he's big and like you say if needs be, there is enough of him there to grip him so i don't worry, I'd have to take a bulldozer to him to hurt him but if a tiny snake freaked out I'd not know what to do.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  23:38:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lol, I have a yearling just like that :) Every time I go near her she hisses and strikes :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  01:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we havent held kodi yet , we have had her since tuesday and she fed last nite so we need to wait a little longer still before we get to see how she reacts . i must say shes very cautious wen coming out of her hide , and is rite nosey when shes out . wen my OH put her into her faun , she said that kodi feels strong , she had gripped sarahs finger and wouldnt let go haha . havent been bit by a corn yet , i had those nerves the first time getting kyle out tho! x

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  11:46:21  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My little Widget sinks his teeth into me at any given opportunity, but it really doesn't hurt when they are still small, so you shouldn't worry too much. Let it get it out of its system, and unless it has a serious attitude problem like Widget, it'll eventually grow out of it X3 Widget is just full of character x.x My poor fingers if he keeps it up as an adult eh? XDD

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  12:11:56  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
never been struck by my corn
and my king only sinks her teeth into me, when shes hungry lol normally two days before due feed day

my corn would rather run and hide, or wrap herself around a branch so tight, i cant get a hold of her

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  12:46:20  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think lots of people find hatchlings too fast and are quite often worried about hurting them. The thought of being bitten is far worse than if it happens!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

NikkiLian
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  13:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah it didn't hurt at all when she bit me, was more like a head butt! lol This is why i've always gone for older snakes but i thought it would be nice to see one grow from really small and see how much they change. I think having her in a faun is one of the problems, they're not the easiest of things to try and catch a hatchie in! I'm gonna save up and get a 3ft viv for her and divide it til she's big enough. She calmed down within minutes of me holding her so i've no doubt she'll cope with handling fine in a month or so. Will just have to put up with being a human pin cushion til then!

Nikki

0.0.1 Carolina corn~Loki
0.1.0 Snow Corn~Isis
0.0.1 Amel~Medusa
0.0.1 MBK~ Chaos
0.0.1 Royal ~ Sobek
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  23:45:41  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Barnaby was already around 2' when I got him and has never shown any sign of wanting to bite. But I can imagine the speed and size of a tiny hatchling would make you nervous.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000