New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  17:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok so we have two corns living together since last year with no intention of breeding, was even unsure of the sex. i have just seen them locked together with wagging tails. the one on top is a year old and the bottom one around 3 years. what will happen next will eggs be laid. i'm a complete novice on this so as much help as possible would be great. thanks

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  17:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would help to know the sexes of the snakes. firstly you will need to seperate the snakes as the male will more than likely just pester the female for sex and if she is stressed she wont lay any eggs, and the outcome of that isn't too good.

edit, need to know the sexes as if the female is on top you are going to have serious health issues with this one.

Edited by - gmac on 16/03/2011 17:55:36
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  17:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, if you had no intention of breeding why did you keep them together?

Is the female up to breeding weight?

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  20:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right ok so we got our first corn early on last year at a few months old,not knowing the sex (what we think is the male). in nov of last year on my birthday the mrs had been into the same pet shop and on the advice of the owner that they would be ok togther, bought the other snake and came home with it as a bday present (around 3ft long and 3 years). i had done my research and was still unsure about it so went to see the owner personally and he reassured me they would be fine. anyway not going into all that. would rather solve the probem. is seperation a must as it would mean having to get rid of one of them as we havent got the room. will eggs definately be laid if they have only locked the once.bit of a dilemma on my hands here helppppppp.....
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  20:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
get the separated, thats the first thing to do. The advice you have been given is rubbish.
the chances of eggs after one lock is high, they dont mess about.
i can pretty much guarantee that the male is the one on top, and the female on the bottom, unless they are both boys, in which case, you are the first with Gay snakes.
you have about 9 weeks until the eggs are laid, assuming that there are no complications.
, if there are complications, then you will need a fair wedge of cash to take to the vets with you, and you will end up at best with a sterile snake, at worst, she will die.
If you want to see how much of a hot topic co habiting is, have a look on the stickies, and if you want to know my opinion on it, see the 50% warning i have, thats how much i feel about it!!!!

separate them, as soon as you can, yes it means setting up another enclosure, but i can assure you, its cheaper than vets fees if it goes wrong!!!

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  20:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they have locked only the once that you have seen, and yes your male will stress the hell out of your female if she is gravid so they must be split up.

Do you know what sex each snake is? is the female the smaller one or the bigger one,

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  20:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
biggest on the bottom, so presuming the female. looks like am gonna have to take her back to the pet shop tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  20:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would suggest you take the male back. The female may likely becoming gravid now, and being moved about, prodded, poked and then sold to people who may have no clue isn't very fair.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  20:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would definatley explain the situation to the shop owner which is only a mile up the road, sure he would gladly take back. if she is, then would rather her be in the hands of someone who has an idea of what hes doing. even if his original advice was only to get his stock out the door. my 7 year old is in tears at the thought of getting rid of his snake (what we think is the male)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  20:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If his original advice was to get stock out of the door then what makes you think he won't do exactly the same again, probably not even telling prospective owners they may end up with a clutch or eggs or worse?

Tbf, this was your doing, its not the snakes fault, and to expect the snake to be the one to suffer strikes me as pretty harsh.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  21:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone locally willing to take on the female that knows what there doing, i'm in the grimsby area lincs. i do want the best for her just not confident enough to get her through it myself. would rather shes in good care with someone whos bred before.
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  21:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its definately a lesson learnt. and howpoopthe advice of pet shop owners can be !!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

sparkaly
Hatchling

212 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  21:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really would be a shame to get rid of one. Have you room to put another viv on top? My local pet shop does an incubation service, you could ask around and see if they would take the eggs. That way you wouldn't have the worry and get to keep your two lovely snakeys.
Just a thought.
Hope everything turns out ok

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  21:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we already have another viv on top housing our much loved royal so really not an option.
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  22:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you not put the smaller one in an RUB and stash it away in your bedroom near a plug socket, in 9 weeks time you will know whether your female fertilised eggs and in the meantime this gives you a while to think about a solution to keep them apart long term. Not ideal, but win win all round in terms of your bigger snake and your 7 year old ;-)

0.0.1 Amel Corn CB10 Luna
1.0.0 Orchid Corn CB08 Mizuki
0.1.0 Hypo Corn CB10 Hala
0.1.0 Normal het lav CB09 Neona
1.2.0 Normal Royals, Jericho, Eclipse and Monday

and various other critters including, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 3 fish, 1 husband and 3 daughters :-)
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  22:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is an option but then theres the cost of the rub another stat, heat mat, incubator. the possibility of it all going wrong then still the problem of not having the room for both of them in 3ft vivs when there bigger.gonna go round couple of the local rep shops tommorrow an see who can help. ideally as i said before a new home for the female with the right care an knowledge of breeding is by far in my opinion the best option.
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  20:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went to the shop were the female was bought from an the guy was telling me theres no need to seperate them they'll be fine. i mentioned i'd been advised to seperate them an he said by who. i mentioned this forum an he laughed saying these forums are full of kids aged between 11 and 15 who believe everything they get told an pass the info on, needless to say i left. the female has been taken on by someone who knows what hes doing so all is good. thanks for all your help an advice
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  20:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ha, he found us out!

Time to confess, I'm actually 7 years old. I have no snakes, BUT I do have an earthworm factory, and I once make a snake out of plasticine. This makes me an expert

Glad to hear your snake found a new home

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000