Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  08:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting my corn hatchlings soon, a female amel stripe & a male snow,
I have heard that I can't breed them because the female is older!! But I always thought that it's best to have the female a little bit older as the males can start breeding in no time
People from a pet shop have told me that if my female is younger than the male that's a good thing
Can anyone give me the right advice please?

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  08:53:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
with hatchlings, just keep them seperately for the first 3 years
females should ideally be over 3 years, over 3ft long and over 300g to breed successfully and not compromise her own health. though it's true males can be bred a lot sooner and when a lot smaller.
females can breed much sooner but with the risks involved it's really not worth it!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  08:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am keeping them separate untill then but I am getting told that it's not right to have a female older than the male.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  09:03:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
whoever told you that is talking out their a*** lol

as long as the female is big enough, providing the male is sexually mature (which can be under 12 month of age) he should be able to do the job

the only corns we've paired this year are a 5 year old anery motley female weighing in at about 500g and a small 2 year old snow stripe male that i bet only weighs about 100g
i do have to keep checking she's not eaten him though lol but he should do the business........

Go to Top of Page

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  09:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much I thought it was strange but I didn't want to cause an argument in the shop lol
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  10:42:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
some shops will tell you anything to get a sale or put you off if you might be a threat to their business by selling cheap hatchies

and some of them just know jack! lol

i usually keep quiet but vote with my feet/purse and avoid them, fortunately there's quite a few rep shops locally so it's easy to just not go into a specific shop i'm not keen on

Go to Top of Page

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  11:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting mine from a breeder and I just go into the shops to ask advice but I won't be going in that one again lol
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  21:28:21  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if your girl is 3+ and your male is 18 months+ then go for it :) If theres a big size difference you'll have to keep an eye on them, he may not be man enough or simply not know what he should do.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000