New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  17:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I've heard corns all have different characters , how are yours ? Do they vary a lot ?
We have kyle and would really like to pick up cody (caramel motley ) we wondered if they would be totally different :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  18:11:00  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Barnaby is really outgoing, is constantly on the move and loves climbing the vines and artificial plants in his viv. He even sleeps up the top of one of his vines instead of using the log hide in the cool side of his tank. He is very much my snake though and doesn't like being held by anyone else.

My sister-in-laws corn is completely different. Toby is around 12yrs old and over the years they have tried putting different furniture in his viv but he wouldn't go near it. He spends all of his time hiding under the newspaper in his viv, the other stuff used to get in his way as he moved from one end to the other under the paper, the clunking noise of him trying to move it drove them nuts, so they gave up and now just have newspaper and a water bowl. Once out of the viv he doesn't move around much and seems to be fine being handled by anyone. The first time I held him he wasn't desperately trying to get back to his owner, as Barnaby would have, but that is probably more to do with Barnaby still being a hatchling and Toby being a fully grown adult.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  18:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my lot are all very different..

Mont - likes to curl up under pillows when he's out but is super soft and gentle,he doesn't pay much attention if you are making noise near his home unlike some of the others..

Lucien - slightest noise near his home and he's out like a flash wanting attention - he'll sit there face up against the glass watching you and waiting to be handled, a real attention seeker!

Zero - he hides away a lot.. doesn't enjoy being handled but is getting better slowly,although could give Usain Bolt a run for his money if you gave him chance..

Aura - the baby of the group, often pokes her head out of her hide to watch what's happening in the world and like to eye up the mice for the other snakes - think her eyes are bigger than her dinky belly haha but considering all the stress she went through of me assist/force feeding her she's a real gem

Liberty - bit lazy tbh - she will happily curl up on top of her leaves to get a better view of the world and just watch from there, likes kitchen rolls to hide in and very inquisitive when out - everything gets a going over!

Edison - hides a lot and likes smaller enclosed spaces (maybe hes a royal in disguise?!) - he genuinely seems to panic when out on the bed - wraps his tail around the nearest thing and doesn't like to let go until he feels safe again..often goes up sleeves or down tops when out and will curl up in the sleeve of a shirt and refuse to move.. can be awkward!!

I think they all have their own little quirks and differences..would be boring if they were all the same!!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  18:37:59  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
aawww hannah......love all your discriptions.......bless um lol

my morgana likes to hide lots, but loves being fussed over when shes out......again like your liberty, she loves to sit on the top of her vines, she also loves to go round the back of my neck and just hide in the collar lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  19:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot is a nosey little imp, If there is a slight noise the head comes poking out of his hide to see whats going on. He will be out and about all morning as i'm getting ready for work, when I change the water on an evening when I get home he's sitting waiting for the fresh water and is striaght in for a drink, he disappears under the substrate and forgets his tail so it drags through the substrate like a shark fin, then after whizzing round most the afternoon he goes up into his hammock to watch the evening go by.
When he is out he is into everything, loves the laptop and really wants to explore my dog when he sees him.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  20:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lrv2307

aawww hannah......love all your discriptions.......bless um lol

I could go into real detail if we had all day/night!! haha
fascinates me as to how different they all are

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Mole
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  20:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only have Striker at the moment, but he/she is great and loves his hides and vines, sleeps up in them too, always a challenge to find him never where you think lol, cant wait to get another tho and see how they are different. Am thinking tho that I have watched too much Jonny Morris when small, as I imagine what hes thinking especially when I catch him out and about sneaking round his viv, immediately he freezes then slopes off as if I hadnt actually seen him and hes invisable, (ooo i really sound cookie :( )

1.0.0 corn snake Striker
1.0.0 dog Merlo
0.1.0 rabbit Sparkle
0.2.0 Cats Skid and Whizz
Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  22:05:59  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tiko is a shy boy but getting more nosy. When I spray my snail he seems to be very interested by the noise of the spray gun and pops out to have a nose. He is more confident now than he was and always is rubbing the front of his viv so I open the door and just let him have a little wander.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  22:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt that Tiko is interested in the noise of your spray gun. The vibrations of your feet on the floor near him might be the culprit, they are Mutton Jeff, they don't hear sound they feel/are very sensitive to vibration though. I forget all the time and talk away to mine though, good job they can lip read.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 14/03/2011 22:19:26
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  22:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kyle hides most of the day , if we wanna see him we have to get him out . some days hes really nippy in our hands and others hes happy just to relax along ur arm and just look at you . we are going to pick Cody up tomorro will be interesting to see how he is and if he is as shy and placid as kyle x

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  23:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He will come around as he gets older.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  23:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah , its an exciting journey at the min for us , thanks to everyone for there advice so far with the teething problems we have had , its all sorted :) very interesting to see how all of your snakes are all different like little people .

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  23:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its one of the nicest things about this forum apart from the actual people and the advice is seeing these little snakes growing up and you do become quite attached to all the little snakes on here.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  23:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i definately think this forum is fab , and im always on here checking up and seeing advice , ive been reading these out to my OH who said yes to gettin our second one tomorro (i have had to sign a made up contract to say i wont mither/ sweet talk / ask / guilt trip / suggest / bring home another snake for a year) haha! who knew they were this addictive! ,I will put some pics up when im home , or in a weeks time wen we can handle him . i have some new ones of kyle which i will put up . but u def become aware of who has which snake and see their journey with them :)

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  23:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine all have very different personalities

Mew lies about outside of her hides all the time for some reason, and comes over to the viv doors when anybody walks by. She seems to love coming out for an explore and a handle too.... likes going up sleeves

In the day, Felix is always hiding away (...unless its feeding time or cleaning time, when she'll come and investigate why i am invading her house!). She usually sits tucked away with just her head poking out to see whats going on! Night time she comes out and climbs over everything and watches me sleep - see!

Goonie and Dinger are big lazy blobs that only come out at night, or (for Dinger) when i open the viv door. Goonie can be a bit flinchy with handling but she is nice and calm most of the time, and Dinger is just a cuddle monster that clings to anybody that holds him!

Salem is an asbo snake though. Sometimes hides away or sometimes sits out in the open, just watching with an evil look on his face. Usually tries to squirm away when i go to pick him up, but the odd times when i do catch him, he'll zip around all over me (and cupboards, and boxes and anything else close by that he can worm into) and find a comfy space to curl up. He gets really strikey at dinner times and strangely enough, will grab the mouse and try to retreat back into a hide with it!

Edited by - Figs on 14/03/2011 23:54:23
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  09:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I call Loki lazy Loki. He spends a lot of his time hidden and skulks about when on the move. He's quite a shy secretive snake.
I still have to catch him to get him out of the viv and he can be a little jumpy on occasion,he's calmer with me than with anyone else. When its feed time everything is done slowly and methodically,he casually follows his fuzz then gently grabs it and eats,no striking ot constricting with Loki lol.

Falcor on the other hand is a cheeky inquisitive snake. He spends a lot of time out in the open in the day and in the evening is usually worming about up the glass doors where they open. Makes it easy for me,I just open the doors and he comes out onto my hand. Getting him back in though can be a fight at times lol.
I've never had to chase him about,he's always really chilled out.
Once out he's calm and inquisitive and likes to explore anyone or anything.
Feeding wise he's taken to lurching across the feeding tub at his food and likes to practise his constriction technique.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000