New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  08:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking about taking in my friends corn snake,i think she has had him about 3 years.... i think she still has him in a faun which is awful !!... she has had a baby so cant pay him the attention any more!!

I waiting to speak to my parents to make sure they dont mind me taking on another... but if they say yes....

Would a rub be ok for him if he is 3?? i dont think he is very large... just longer?? as i wouldnt be able to afford a wooden viv straight away.... and he also hasnt been handled for a while so do you reckon he would be easy to tame again ?? as the baby is nearly 3 months old, so he hasnt been held for 3 months ??

What do you guys think ?? im still waiting for a couple of answers from her...

and he eats frozen mice :)

x

1 corn snake: Kchalice-Serendipity
2 dogs: Kane and chester
1 C0ckatill: Rolo
1 gold fish: chips
2 Cats : Max and Jess

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  08:32:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
RUBs are fine, we have our adults in 50l RUBs and the juvies are in 9l or 18l depending on their size obviously

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  08:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhh really?? do you just let them live in them all the time?? im guessing you dont transfer them over to vivs then ?? and where can you get rubs from ?? any where??

Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  08:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhh another question, when they live in rubs?? where do they get air from ??? dp u have to make holes??

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  08:40:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LynneM_212

... she has had a baby so cant pay him the attention any more!
...the baby is nearly 3 months old, so he hasnt been held for 3 months ??

having read this through again, i'd ONLY offer to take him on IF she actually wants to get rid of him.....she's not doing anything wrong!
a lot of mine won't get handled for 3 months, particularly if they're clean and i only need to spot clean them. and i've had 2 babies since i've been keeping snakes and your friend having a baby is irrelevant really, she might have different priorities at the moment but as long as any pet's basic needs are being met.....

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  08:45:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ohhh really?? do you just let them live in them all the time?? im guessing you dont transfer them over to vivs then ?? and where can you get rubs from ?? any where??

yep, they're all in a rack, in RUBs now though i did previously have them all in vivs
RUBs aren't air tight so you don't have to make airholes but i prefer to add extra ventilation and drill some small holes at the front and back. i think Rymans are are good price but you can get them from Staples too amongst other places. i'd stick to specific branded Really Useful Products boxes as they're flat underneath which is better for heating with heatmats

sorry if my previous reply sounded a little harsh

Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  08:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea true, she said before when i was looking for a snake, did i want to buy her.... she commented on one of my statuses yesterday and i asked her if she had managed to sell him yet ... she said no and now she was selling him for 50 as she needs the money for a chest of drawers for her baby ...

I can sort of understand what she means... but yea i see what you mean .... i just think she wants to concentrate on her baby now ....

so are yours still easy to handle... if they havent been held for that amount of time ??

and what abotu the rubs how do they get air??

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  09:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As GP said, you can add extra holes to the rub. I use a hot screwdriver to make holes and just sand down any rough edges.

You can buy rubs online, ebay, rymans, also I buy some instore from Maplin.

If you are going to move the snake up into a bigger rub, you will probably need to buy a bigger heat mat too and possibly provide bigger hides and water bowl. Also remember if the setup is not complete you will need to buy a few bits like digital thermometers etc.

Oh, and on the handling, I only handle mine about twice a week and only for a few mins and they are all great, no problems at all.

Edited by - Invalid User on 14/03/2011 09:42:11
Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  09:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhh excellent news :), thats good then ...

No it didnt sound harsh at all, your just pointing out the facts... i would be the same i think, if i had a baby i would still keep them, but i suppose it depends on the person and money situation ...

Sorry i wrote about the holes again i totally didnt see your message..

Yes i think she has him in something quite small, so i would upsize, and buy everything brand new for him :).... i dont think she has a thermostat but i can get that easily from the place i bought it as it was a reasonable price :)...

Ive looked up a few rubs they are sooo cheap !! but i may havea look at rymans now ...

I just hope my parents say yes... help me think of ways to convince them :) by the way, louise i went on the rainbow boa forum, your rainbow is GORGEOUS!! i love them, just wish they didnt get so big... i think thats something to think about when i move out :)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  10:06:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
generally they're all good to handle no matter how often or infrequently i get them out, from my 8 month old ratsnake to my OAP corn and everything inbetween!
they're also pretty stress-free and good feeders

Edited by - gingerpony on 14/03/2011 10:07:24
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  10:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

by the way, louise i went on the rainbow boa forum, your rainbow is GORGEOUS!! i love them, just wish they didnt get so big... i think thats something to think about when i move out :)

Thanks They are stunning and yeah, she will get pretty big. Can't wait till she's big enough to go into a nice viv so I can see her. She's still so tiny right now
Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  12:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far soo good, its looking good on me rescuing little valentine the corny.. not sure what morph he is .... but aslong as she still wants to sell i might get him this weekend :) and louise how big is your boa now then how old??

Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Egg

Germany
50 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  20:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had one snake when my two boys were born and I'm glad I did. It's nice to handle something apart from full nappies.
It's also a great way to introduce kids to snakes early on and prevent them developing a phobia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000