Shedding Behaviour?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  18:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Read the sticky on shedding, but just wanted to ask how much other people's snakes behaviour has changed when in blue? Vin's eyes aren't cloudy but his colours seem a little darker and for the last 3-4 days he's been hiding away all the time, no where near as active as usual. Got him out today and he seemed very reluctant, just coiled round my wrist and looking around very slow and cautiously, he normally wriggles and moves rapidly.

I've had him since the beginning of January and he hasn't shed with me before, just wondering whether this behavioural change is normal? His temps all seem ok and he was fed last friday.

Thanks

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  18:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah sounds a lot like mine when they are getting ready to shed. Dull down over a few days, before they go blue. Don't usually see them out at all during that time. Usually about a week. Calypso is in blue at moment, and not leaving her tree

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  18:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds exactly like Spot. You will learn to spot the signs before they even go cloudy. With Spot I notice that he isn't as nosey and looks out of his hide rather than coming out about a week before the first physical signs are visible (milky belly). Sit back and enjoy the process and when the eyes go cloudy remember they are pretty much blind and easily startled.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  19:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the reassurance! Really panicked when I got him out and he seemed so lethargic!

Ok next question, would you feed at this stage? I normally feed 1 pinkie in the faun every 5 days, and he tells me that he's hungry by coming out, except at the moment he's not! Will he still be happy to eat in his faun as usual?

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  19:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can only try, ive never been turned down yet

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  19:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okie dokes, I shall give it a whirl! Thanks x

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  19:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot will eat right upto his belly going milky and then he has refused from then on so I don't try anymore, save the food for when he eats, I hate throwing food into the bin (royal python) when its meant for Spot.

Its a learning experience for you, if he eats all good and well, if not don't worry and just save your food next time.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 09/03/2011 19:32:19
Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  21:36:33  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tiko doesnt come out when in blue and I first notice he about to go as his scales go all crinkly rather than smooth. He just hides away for about 6/7 days then once the skin is shed he races around like a mad thing!
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  12:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey well kyle started the shed process last thursday , his colours went light and dull , the we noticed the blue-ish eyes , they cleared on tuesday and we woke up today and he had shed . i had forgotten what he looked like the grumpy thing! lol . we handled him on tuesday and he was exactly how yours seemed , lay still in my hands and didnt move much so we put him back . i will def kno what to look for next time! x

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  17:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Spot will eat right upto his belly going milky and then he has refused from then on so I don't try anymore, save the food for when he eats, I hate throwing food into the bin (royal python) when its meant for Spot.

Its a learning experience for you, if he eats all good and well, if not don't worry and just save your food next time.

Hiya, Well Vin refused his pinkie and unfortunately as I haven't acquired a royal yet (on my agenda for late summer!) the actual bin got the pinkie!

Nice to know everyone's corns hide away and look miserable, will have to peek in later and see if a shed has been had!

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  18:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot is blue at the moment, has been for a few days, feeling very sorry for himself. I don't even try to feed him as soon as his belly goes milky, usually misses 2 feeds while he sheds but it does him no harm, he drops about a gram in weight which is nothing and he gets his dinner the day after a shed.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000