New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mole
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  20:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOh went to a reptile store today to take a look at what they had in stock and also to price up how much a caramel stripe youngster would set me back. They had loads of adult corns, and must say I have never seen so many in one viv at the same time, made me feel really crappy about the poor things. Crowded House city, also a hatchie they showed me looked really sad. They wanted £99 for a caramel motley hatch. What do you think of that, I know that keeping corns together is a no no from the co hab threads here

1.0.0 corn snake Striker
1.0.0 dog Merlo
0.1.0 rabbit Sparkle
0.2.0 Cats Skid and Whizz

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  22:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have compared prices from three places and all are different , ten pounds more expensive and some twenty pounds . one place i have seen a normal caramel for 59.00 so not sure about motley tho , will keep my eyes out!

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  22:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
p.s just looked on www.reptiletrader.co.uk and there is one for 60 quid on there :S

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  22:32:07  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Caramel is a pretty complicated morph I believe, needing a number of traits to show through, and to get it as a stripe too would add another het to the mix - the more homo genes to make a morph, the more expensive they tend to be, unless you find someone who on this lovely site who will set you back a fraction of the cost a shop will! Shops will ALWAYS charge more, just because they see snakes as money machines, and that will also account for the state of the snakes you see there, but most will be above the minimum they need to do to sell snakes, so you can't really fight them.

As for loads in a one viv - it happens in shops. They get snakes easily, and they get a lot for each, so they are going to stock up, regardless of the risks. That's what happens, and as sad as it is, there is little we as the public can do. The best thing is to avoid places like that, and seek out shops that either don't sell livestock in order to purchase your items, or seek out a shop that is reptile friendly and has a good expertise, and show a little more consideration by housing less in a viv then what it sounds like you found x.x

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  23:20:57  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Caramels are a single trait morph i believe so shouldn't be too complicated. Guess it depends how rare they are. Stripes are stunnig though so I would hold out until you can get one of those rather than the motley lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  23:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shops are always more expensive, quite often they have to cover not only the breeders expenses etc but their own overheads so they bump the price. I've paid over the odds for both my snakes as I just don't know of any breeders in Northern ireland, i think things tend to be more expensive over here snake related too.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000