New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danbaylis35
Hatchling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  20:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys got a new viv coming this week a nice big 4ft one for mr chunky was wondering what watt heat bulb i need to heat it?

mr.chunky (amel),ssssssteve (western hognose),Cruela (dwarf boa)

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  20:23:43  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what useing the bulb for?

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  20:37:05  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You don't need a heat bulb, heat mats are much better with corns as they dont bask to get warm like some other reptiles do, instead they absorb heat through their bellies. A heat mat that covers 1/3-1/2 of the viv attached to a thermostat keeping the temp at 27-29 degrees is best.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  20:41:41  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use bulbs and get 60w. I go on the theory that the sun warms up the ground where the snakes lay! Also my vivs came with bulbs and I couldn't see the need to change when the snakes were quite happy.

Edit to add: There's no right or wrong, it's personal choice. Just make sure you use a guard for the bulb.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 01/03/2011 20:43:41
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  20:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
60W will be fine for a 4ft.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  21:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

I use bulbs and get 60w. I go on the theory that the sun warms up the ground where the snakes lay! Also my vivs came with bulbs and I couldn't see the need to change when the snakes were quite happy.

Edit to add: There's no right or wrong, it's personal choice. Just make sure you use a guard for the bulb.

Agreed, specially with the guard bit, just make sure you buy one with nice small holes, as corns will get inside it given half a chance.

I use a heat bulb but as an added help for night time as bulbs need switching off I have a small heatmat that kicks in should it drop too cold.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

danbaylis35
Hatchling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  21:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
60w thanks...im not using heat mats again done tht once ended up with a £200 vet bill and a scared snake lol

mr.chunky (amel),ssssssteve (western hognose),Cruela (dwarf boa)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000