Izzy isn't right
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  23:02:44  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping the experts can give me some pointers please.

Izzy just doesn't seem right. He has always been the quiet one since I got him nearly a year ago. He has always been a temperamental feeder and is rarely seen out. But he seems extra quiet.
He last ate 1st Jan, in viv on kitchen roll as he wont eat out viv, and 31st Oct before that. I don't think it's hormonal behaviour as he is not being over active as if looking for a mate. I don't think he has been out of his cold hide for the last 3-4 days where he went after the last time I had him out. Temps are 27-29oC warm end, heated with heat mat on a stat. Cool end is room temp. I'm not sure if he is drinking, I haven't seen him, and he hasn't pooed for a while. Can't say how long because since moving at Christmas I have been a bit slack on that part of my record keeping but probably a couple of weeks. He weighed 719g on 1st jan, 724g on 30 jan and 712g on 17 feb. he measures 46in bearing in mind he is missing approx 4in of tail. He also has a kink about 4-5in from his head which appears to be injury caused but it occured before I got him and hasn't seemed to cause him any bother.
I haven't been overly concerned until now because, as I said before, he has always been a quiet snake. But when I got him out tonight, he still seemed quiet, not moving around as much and not tongue flicking much. My son even managed to touch him under his chin without him pulling away. He is now back in his viv in his warm hide watching me.
Im considering phoning the vets to see about getting him in for a check anyway but without any ideas whats wrong I don't know what the vet is going to suggest. Should I give him some reptoboost in the meantime? How about a reptoboost bath considering I'm not even sure if he has been drinking?
Sorry for the essay but wanted to give as much info as possible

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  23:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I'm gonna have a go

He doesn't show signs of an R.I does he? That could explain the sort of reclusive and secretiveness, but then again, that's what snakes are.

Regarding the essay, don't worry the more info gives us more of a chance to help, just a shame as I'm stumped from his behaviour

But, the reptoboost, i wouldn't bother with that.. use Powerade, it does the same job used in the same way and is genuinely cheaper. also, a bit in his water wouldn't hurt.

Let us know how it goes!
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  23:31:49  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
From what I know of RI's I don't think it's that. No wheezing, mucus, or anything.
I already have some reptoboost from when I had Dangerous. I also have some ccf but don't think we're at that stage yet.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  17:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know when he last shed? Bare in mind he hasn't eaten for 8 weeks, so a bit of weight loss is to be expected. If he is due a shed, then that would explain the behaviour change. The other option is to ask the vet to do a faecal float, testing for worms.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  22:45:00  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. He last shed on 26th Jan and is usually shedding approx every 3 months so doubt it's that. I didn't think the weight loss was overly significant and it's not as if he is underweight. Ordinarily the lack of eating wouldnt worry me, and the fact he isn't losing lots of weight would make me think it was hormonal or just being his usual tempermental self, but he is so quiet even when out that I know something is wrong. But I don't know if his listlessness is down to possibly not drinking or the not drinking is caused by his listlessness.

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

mina0103
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  22:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sorry i wouldnt know where to start helping. I do understand why your worried, i would be to. Poor izzy hope shes better soon.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h377/mina0103/SDC10591-1.jpg[/IMG]

0.1.0 dog staffy/lab cross; mina
1.0.0 corn anery; nekko

Debbie
x
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  12:35:22  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Update - I gave Izzy a reptoboost bath a couple of days ago which he perked up a bit straight after but then went back into hiding. I took him to the vets today. Vet gave Izzy a good check over and the decision is he thinks he is ok. Hasn't lost too much weight, has pooed now (while he was having his bath so I couldn't get a sample), is tongue flicking even if not moving around much, no sign of blockages or anything untowards, no sign of RI although the mouth is moist so he isn't dehydrated. He said he could do the full works of tests (stool and blood samples) but he doesn't really think it is neccesary yet. He has advised reptoboost bath a couple of times a week if I think he is not coming out to drink much and to go back in 4 weeks if there is no improvement for the tests to be done. I was surprised actually because I said I was happy for the tests to be done now if he thought they were needed and he said to wait. Many vets would have been happy to just get the extra money. So I will try him with food again tonight. Maybe the car journey will have stimulated him enough to eat

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  12:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the feeding tonight.

Fingers crossed there is an improvment and you don't need to go back to the vets.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000