New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  20:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just got a 4 ft wooden viv with a built in uv stip and red heat bulb. I have put a heat mat covering 1/3 of the viv with the water on the other side. Should i run the red lamp with the heat mat at the same time or not. i would like a light source in the viv for asthetic reasons. i have only had it today and i have the mat and the red heat bulb on and i am monitoring the temp. the strip bulb currently in is a exo terra repti glo 10.0 30w is this ok to use for lighting or should i use something else??

Dan Rodziewicz - Stoke on Trent

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  20:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, you don't need heatmat and bulb together so if your happy with the heatmat don't bother with the bulb. I can't help with the lighting as I don't use any for my snakes.

How big/old is your snake as 4ft is a very big viv?
Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  21:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she will be 1 in May.. she is about a ft an 1/2 long. i know it seems overkill at the moment but it was on special at my local pet store and its a really nice viv. i have the heat lamp and matt both on at the mo and the temp is teatering at 30 - 31oC so im thinking it should be ok to have on and it looks good withj the red hue, however i dont want to cause my snake any damage. its just there is so much conflicting info on the net about the best practice

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  21:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That viv is very big for a 1.5 ft snake. Alot of people house fully grown adults in 3ft vivs so your baby will be lost in it. If you are going to use it you need to provide loads of hides and cover for it as it's gonna be a very scary journey from the warm end to the cool end.

I personally wouldn't put a snake that small in it. I'd wait until it's much bigger as being in a space that big could really stress it out.

Edited by - Invalid User on 25/02/2011 21:11:27
Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  21:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have 3x hiding holes 1 in the hot and 1 in the cold with 1 in the middle. it has sterilised wood and a large water bowl. im getting plastic plants and stuff to flesh it out tomorrow so that should be ok for her i hope. I have to use it now as its the only viv i have but i do see your point however i didnt think about that when it came today.. can e upload pics on here and ill put one up

Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  21:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just looked at your profile.. i was born and raised in farnham , surrey.. small world!

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  21:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake Spot is just shy of two feet and in a 2 foot viv and really Spot is only just starting to come into the right size for the 2 foot vivarium. I would seriously consider dividing the vivarium you've got until your snake is a good bit bigger, that way you can just move the divide as it grows. You would really have to fill almost every open space with foliage and cardboard tubes etc to have a chance of making your snake feel comfortable in such a big viv otherwise he may stay in either the hot end or cold end and be too afraid to regulate his temperatiure as they put their safety first and won't cross big open spaces.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  21:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right now she is moving around the whole viv and not staying hidden. tomorrow i will buy lots of foliage and some more hiding spaces for her. i really appreciate the advice guys as i dont want to cause my snake any distress.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  21:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are nosey little monsters, another thihng to just check and block is the gap between the 2 pieces of glass, they can squish their heads almost flat and escape through the smallest of gaps.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  22:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont think she will get through that its about 3mm gap.. i have just put some finer substrate in for her to burrow into as its layed with beech chip and she cant get into it so she has more scope to hide.. have just added 1 x 1 m cardboard roll and 1/3 of a cerial box with a little hole cut out for her. im all worried now about her and the viv being too big

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  22:10:50  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if these guys say that she will get through it believe me she would, my hatchling ive seen get through a tiny gap, there incredible escape artists, your best bet is a strip of door rubber or draught excluder, but either way, you need to get that gap closed up (soz if that sounds abit arrogant - wasnt suppose to)
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  22:14:37  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9578&SearchTerms=escape

And this snake was much bigger than your little one. Never under-estimate the size of the gap that these escape artists can get through

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

danielrodziewicz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  22:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if your bulb in that pic is the same size as my red bulb then my snake is the same size as the snake in the picture.. ive been told before that mine is unusually big for her age

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  22:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, cant fault logic like that.

If there is a gap they will escape through it, don't assume they are too big. My 2 foot snake escaped through an airhole in a temporary box, I measured the gap, it was 6mm diameter.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000