New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DonnaMarch
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  18:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn is not passing faeces again. I had this problem with him late last year and the vet done a check over and xray for any obstructions coz he was taking a couple of weeks to pass. She also advised me to use small mice instead as i was using large ones. As soon as i started using small mice he began passing faeces 2-3 days after eating and got in a good routine of it. Now after two months of a good routine he hasn't passed since last Tuesday. He hasn't been staying over at his hot side of his tank that often. The temp over on the hot side is 29 degrees. Is he maybe just constipated?

She also advised me to use a spot light or a UV light (for calcium etc i always thought they were for lizards!) I used a spot light before and they were a nightmare to control for heat. I use a heat mat that covers a quater of the viv and have a cool end which is at 20 degrees right now. Was thinking of buying a bigger heat mat to cover at least half the tank.

If anyone can give me any advice i would be grateful.

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  18:43:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is he due for a shed?
UV won't do anything. You only need once source of heat too, either a spot light or heatmat. A heatmat that covers a 1/3 of the viv would be best.

Some snakes just take a while to go. Have you tried a warmish bath? Like a bot or water in a tub, not deep so he can swim but rather just slither in and having the water at like 27-29c? That makes them poo!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Snake Mite

32 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:35:47  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
+1 for the warm bath trick, it ALWAYS works wonders, just dont have it too warm.

www.glyntjonesphotography.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warm bath tecnique but be super careful about temp, too cold or too hot will send the snake into shock.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

DonnaMarch
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  14:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i give him a warm bath nearly everyday.

i've noticed he is making a wheezing sound again. I have had him checked for a resp infection and antibiotics giving but it still happens now and again. It began again when i got a heat mat that covered almost 3/4 of the tank but i changed it to one for 1/3. He had this probem before when i used the spot light and i was told it could be the humidity so i used a heat mat instead and it stopped. I'm really stumped at what could be causing this. I know its not a obstruction coz he has been x rayed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000