Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  02:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys and girls

Sorry to bother with all my posts lol

Bruge was lively for last couple of hours, so I just had a quick look at her, and noticed that her body colour is fine and then at the tail it suddenly dull,

And had a closer look and found it was skin on her tail that has broken whilst shedding and remained on.

The worse thing is I must have bought her today like that as she not shed int he last 15 hours,

Anyway, just gave her a warm bathe in the sink, and jus let her slide through my hands, and the skin that didnt shed, came off the tail complete, which is a relief as I know a buid up causes a restriction on blood supply and tail dropping off.

This petsho belonging to a garden centre, also has a royal python, several underweight, where apprently they are force feeding it, and where scales and drying up , and she has a proper triangle shape across the girth

I asked one of the reptile "experts" and apprently its not been feeding and that teyve been assisting feeding it, "he explained they force the food down it"
They also said its been there for 6 months like it, (captive bred from their suppliers) and they still have it for sale at £89.99

Now I know some snakes dont like to eat, but seriously looking at this and then the slight shed issue I have had, kinda makes me wonder, exactly how much attention they getting.

Because also when I picked up Bruge, they have a massive viv with glass front doors and lock, and inside small faunariums with the snakes in, apparently he couldnt open it as the guy who has keys was off, and cudnt bring them in, so I told him, to lift the glass door up and it can come out of the viv

the guy says to me "ah now i know that i can water them and clean them out"

opinions? and is it worth while raising the severly underweight poor skin condition royal python issue with the RSPCA?

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  03:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whenever I see something like this that concerns me, I do send an email to the RSPCA, regardless. You don't know if the store owner just needs more instruction or experience or if they are being downright neglectful. You also don't know if the shop is already being watched by the RSPCA. I try to keep what I've seen factual, no 'it seems' or 'I think that' just a factual report of what has actually happenned or been said.

Whatever you do, if you do suspect a store of mistreating their animals on purpose or for whatever reason are just not happy with what you are seeing, even if you can't put your finger on it is to stop buying things there, vote with your wallet and your feet.

I know that it's tempting to buy an animal who is being mistreated, believe me, there was a store near me with a snake literally dying in front of my eyes, but although buying the snake would have stopped his obvious mistreatment, it would have given the store the money to put other animals through the same things. I still feel awful about that snake to this day, but I know that I did the right thing by reporting what I had seen to the RSPCA, not shopping there and discouraging my friends from shopping there also.

zan x
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  03:06:39  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yh cm, go to the rspca and explain this, if you can take a camera into the shop and take some pictures - say its for research or something and give the photos to them but raise the issue with the shop first though
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  18:05:59  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have a word with your local councils licensing department, they have the power to revoke a pet shop license if the conditions are bad enough.

I personally would steer well clear of a shop that had an unhealthy animal even on display. It won't be doing any good being stared at and kids banging the glass etc

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  19:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm shocked and appauled that they have a clearly unwell python on show and openly admit that it is a non feeder and they are assist feeding. They need to take it off sale and treat it appropriately somewhere quiet and dark most likely so you did the right thing, its not stirring trouble if your concerns are legitimate and I wouldn't have hesitated to do the same thing.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Snake Mite

32 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:33:15  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done for not sitting back & doing nothing, I hate to see any animal suffering in this way.

Keep us posted if anything progresses

www.glyntjonesphotography.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  01:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you ask him why he didnt take the snake away from the shop? or out the back to help? Royals are notorious for having a shocking feeding habit, its not their fault they have one that is feeding badly, these things happen, i have had royals off people that havent fed for months, lots of months sometimes, and i have had to force feed them, its not nice, but it needs to be done. If anything, i hope the rspca give the guy a pat on the back for giving a poop about its health, and not just binning it like some places do.

Edited by - gmac on 25/02/2011 01:44:49
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  02:00:10  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you are unhappy with the way the shop is caring for it's animals, you should vote with your feet. Just don't buy ANYTHING from there. If they are mistreating the snakes then you are just funding them to keep going.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000