Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  00:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I was just wondering if people take out pet insurance against vet bills? People at work have it for their cats/dogs but just wondering if there's anythings specific for snakes and is it worth it?

Cheers

1.0.0 Beaker (10-8-09 amel)

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  01:46:43  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There's a few subjects in the past about the same thing, think the conclusion came to it being pointless for most snakes.
The majority of vet treatment is fairly low cost, unless it needs an op due to retained eggs or similar and then the insurance companies wont payout.
Even if a female has never been bred and just decides to drop some slugs they still wont.
Have a search for 'insurance' and you'll get a few old threads up, you may need to tick the box to do an archive search as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  08:19:47  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ive got mine insured hun, but then again thats just me

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  08:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lousie, which company you use - i looked for a while, but after reading some of the previous threads didn't take it further
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  10:43:06  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
exoticdirect is the popular one, alot of shops give u 30day vouchers for them when u by reptiles

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  13:41:58  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Subz

Lousie, which company you use - i looked for a while, but after reading some of the previous threads didn't take it further

exotic direct hun, even though my girls are still young, ive got them insured for aprox what it would cost me to replace them as adults

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:31:44  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think if you were looking at something like that then maybe just save a certain amount a week for emergencies. That way you have it if you need it but if you don't then you can use it to buy whatever you want (another snakie lol). I'm useless at doing stuff like that as I always forget to put the money in the tin but it works for some people and it's better than lining someone elses pocket if you don't need it.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  15:20:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Insurance quote I got for my snakes was so stupid. I just put some money aside. And if exotic insurance companies are anything like other pet ones, they will try and wiggle themselves out of giving you money when you need it.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Thante
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  20:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Thante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would get it.
Snakes don't seem to need vets often, but when they do the price can be ridicules. When My corn had to have her eye removed i had to give up two full weeks pay to afford it.

0.1.0 Cherry - 09 Normal
1.0.0 Tequila - 09 Caramel Motley
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  20:39:09  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thante

I would get it.
Snakes don't seem to need vets often, but when they do the price can be ridicules. When My corn had to have her eye removed i had to give up two full weeks pay to afford it.

that is my argument for having it
for both my snakes and my crestie i pay £200 a year, that covers me for everything,
work out how much it would cost you to replace your prize pets fully grown?
id rather be sure i could afford to get them to the vet and better without the worry of being able to afford it or not

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  00:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thante

I would get it.

that sounds painful what was the cause

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  03:39:25  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I begrudge getting ANY kind of insurance, because when the time comes for them to pay up, in my experience they always find a reason to either pay a pathetic amount, or nothing at all. I had a cat run over once, many years ago, and they refused to pay after I'd been paying around a fiver a month for several years. I forget their reasoning now, but needless to say I was furious about it! Thankfully though the cat survived its broken leg. And totally unrelated to snakes, but I had a £1,000+ motorbike stolen from my back garden once. It was steering locked, chained and the gate was bolted and padlocked, but I ended up getting a complete pittance after their insurance guy had come round and decided I hadn't done enough to keep it secure!

I have car insurance because it's the law, and I have house insurance as it was a condition of the mortgage. I never take any optional insurance any more and just try to keep a little spare in the bank to cover any problems that come up...

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000