Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Montyrom
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  11:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I have 10 corn snakes, five girls and five boys form one year to four years.

My two year old Ultramel has started to mouth me when she is out. She is very gentle and when she realises that my hand or arm is too big for her to fit into her mouth, then she gives up for a minute then tries again. Last night she got my finger and really tried to pull me into her tank. Not a threat today but when she's fully grown this will be an issue and none of the other snake behave like this at all. She'll even try my arm when covered in jumper.

Does anyone have sufficient knowledge in snake physchology to help me to eradicate her of this habit. She does sometimes strike at her food, but all the snakes are always fed in seperate tubs to avoid mishaps and to condition them to knowing that their food comes in the tubs etc.

My hands were washed after handling other pets and she does do this to some extent to my partner, but defo more to me.

I have a diploma in pet physchology, it covered iguanas, but sadly not snakes. Any practical experienced advice will be gratefully recieved.

10 Corn Snakes
9 African House Snakes
1 Leopard Rat Snake
1 Bearded Dragon
5 Crested Geckos
4 Yellow head geckos
4 Mourning geckos
Plus 7 x toads, 2 x Dogs, 2 x Rats, 2 x Tarantulas.

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  11:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any chance you can smell of a mouse or other furry animal? I see that you have rats and dogs also, are they in the same room, she may be getting mixed up by the smells. I used to have rats so I know they climb everywhere and have quite a distinctive smell, could she be sensitive to this?

Even when you wash your hands they can leave their scent, I was always surprised if I visited my friend with a dog as to how much more interesting I smelt to it after I had been handling the rats, even after many hours and washing my hands thoroughly!

Other than that I am stumped - sorry :S

zan x

Edited by - zandefloss on 15/02/2011 11:20:32
Go to Top of Page

dannyhayman
Hatchling

136 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  16:36:13  Show Profile  Click to see dannyhayman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It sounds adorable xD but I can see ur issue :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000