Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  06:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure who it's from. I have 2 sharing a 3ft viv ( I've read the who debate on it ) I'm guessing it's Lola as it's happened before with her.

She's only had 4 feeds with me her 1st 1 regurged- got the problem sorted. The next 2 stayed down, but just got up and have noticed the hind part of a pinkie . Am totally gutted. Thought I had it sussed

THey were both fed on Tuesday morning. Yesterday afternoon Lola was back to her slim self. Which was why I was so surprised to find this pinkie . It could of been marley, who done it. Maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions just cause she has regurged before.

I'm just now really worried and a bit upset too to be honest

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  08:29:18  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
if it keeps happening hun
id deff separate them, obviously its happening for a reason

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  10:51:49  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bit of a dilema when you're not sure who regurged. Do you have any way of seperating them for the first few days after a feed, even if they go together the rest of the time, it would help to establish who is regurging if it happens again? Is one of them being 'pushed out' of a warm hide to digest, just a thought......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  12:27:56  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If possible it might be best to split them for a few weeks. Untill the regurging stops or you atleast know who it is that is regurging.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  14:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seperate them now, you need to find out what one is regurging and that cant be done with them together.

As you don't know what one regurged you will have to treat both the same (as if the regurge was from both your snakes), therefore no feeding for either for 10-14 days.

I would keep these snakes separate as one is regurging, and you don't know why, and after each one you still wont know what one it is so these guys must be kept apart from each other.

Edited by - gmac on 13/02/2011 14:42:44
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  14:48:34  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is a good case against cohabbing, you need to do as Gmac suggests at the earliest opportunity - most rep shops are open today if you need to buy in another set up, and while you're there get hold of some reptoboost and make up a solution for both your snakes.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i seperated them this morning. lola is in a temp RUB inside the viv. ive place her roughly in the middle?

so now off to get some reptoboost, and no feeding for next 10-14 days for both of them.

Also the lady at the local reptile place, seems to think it was odd that the regurge was a complete tail and legs backend- everything else gone. but they were still complete?? is it unusual for them to be still whole and completely undigested when the rest is gone?

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if the rub is in the middle of the viv, what temps are you getting in the rub.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not unusual to have a regurge with just the back end of the mouse, though it would suggest the items they are eating have the stomach stretched to full capacity effectively the mouse is plugging and protecting the back of the mouse while it dissolves at the front. Its possible that what you are feeding is too big for which ever one is regurging's stomach. Something to check!

The second thing to check when you get a regurge (and usually the culprit) is your temperatures, check you are getting the right hot end temps, too cold they regurge, too hot, they avoid the hot end and regurge.

You have to quickly find what you are doing wrong and correct it. Not a pop at you, but something is wrong and you control every aspect of their care.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her temp in the rub is currently reading 27.7 was on 28.4 when I first opened it to put probe in so dropped 1 degree since lids been open. I've put a pic at the both to show how it's sitting.

I give her the smallest pinkies possible as she's quite small, it was a 5 day gap between this feed and her last feed. So not a massive gap, maybe too soon? Maybe drop to heads?

I'm just concerned as I have another set up the same, stacked on top. Same temps as below and having no troubles. Just thinking if it was Lola again, if it could be something wrong with her? I'm not trying to wriggle out saying it's not my fault, I'm just worried she could be ill

Reptoboost is brought gonna give them some now

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons

Edited by - MrsA82 on 13/02/2011 16:00:10
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are the airholes on that lunch box?

For the next few feeds you really need to drop as small as possible, and work up to the correct size.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are holes on each side of the box, the pinkie she had was diddy and didn't leave much of a belly on her, will start her off on heads after the 14 days though and pick her some little runts

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats your best bet, deal with this regurge as normal, then start on very very small pinkies or if you cant get smaller jut heads for the first 2 feeds, work up slowly and keep a strict record of what your feeding, I would also keep a record of weight when ever you are dealing with a feeding issue.

The reason I say about air holes is that bulb you are using will heat the box up very quickly and without air flow it will quickly suffocate the little snake. Do you have a heat mat? Its going to be much easier to regulate temperature in the box using a mat.

You have options before thinking the worse about the snake been ill in some way, has she ever kept a meal down with you?

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

this is a good case against cohabbing, you need to do as Gmac suggests at the earliest opportunity - most rep shops are open today if you need to buy in another set up, and while you're there get hold of some reptoboost and make up a solution for both your snakes.

If co-habitation was the cause then logically every feed would cause the same result, + i'm sure there would be other changes in the snakes behaviour to indicate they don't want to live together.

Not all co-habitation is bad.

quote:
Its not unusual to have a regurge with just the back end of the mouse, though it would suggest the items they are eating have the stomach stretched to full capacity effectively the mouse is plugging and protecting the back of the mouse while it dissolves at the front. Its possible that what you are feeding is too big for which ever one is regurging's stomach. Something to check!

This seems a more logical explaination
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not cohabitation as the cause, its the inability to know which snake has regurged. Thats what eeji is getting at. I have to agree, I have been on the fence with cohabitation but have now seen enough examples of it not been in the best interests of the snake to be 100% against it.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrsA82

..................the pinkie she had was diddy ............

How big are the snakes and how big is the viv??

Fear of predation and the need to make a quick escape can cause a regurge as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Subz

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

If co-habitation was the cause then logically every feed would cause the same result, + i'm sure there would be other changes in the snakes behaviour to indicate they don't want to live together.

Not all co-habitation is bad.

no not all cohab is bad, but id like proof that this is not the cause of the regurge. without this you can not say this is not at least part of the cause

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Its not cohabitation as the cause, its the inability to know which snake has regurged. Thats what eeji is getting at. I have to agree, I have been on the fence with cohabitation but have now seen enough examples of it not been in the best interests of the snake to be 100% against it.

same as above, what do you have to prove this.

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  17:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she has regurged while living on her own in a rub. She was moved into the viv after the first regurge and has been fine up until now

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  17:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I worded badly (again) I mean't that the not knowing for sure who is regurging is the stronger arguement against cohabiting but the fact they are cohabited could very well be the reason for the regurge and cannot be ruled out.

Personally I would combine all these theories and tackle every single one.

*The viv appears to be a three footer at least in the pics, far too big for hatchies.

*Cohabiting could be stressing the snake that is regurging.

*The food may be too large.

*The temperatures could be wrong (a huge proportion of problems are caused by this one).

You could pick one of these and get lucky but its more than likely a combination of them, possibly all of them. To be 100% sure the only way to sort the problem and protect the snake is unfortunately an overhaul of a setup thats not working.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Edited by - lotabob on 13/02/2011 17:41:51
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  17:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't offer anymore advice but this is one of the many reasons why I chose not to cohabit snakes.

The regurge may or may not be due to them sharing but the issue I have is that you don't know which one it was! You now have to treat both snakes as if they had done it.

Also if your snakes are on pinkies they must be quite small and that viv is huge.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  19:09:24  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I meant was the fact that its unknown which snake has regurged.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000