Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nirvana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  22:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I Just Joined This Forum.
I Got A Corn Snake A Week Today.He Is Aproxametly 4 Years Old (Going To Get Him/Her Probed) He Has A Grey/Cream Skin Colour, With Black Circles Which Are Filled With A Fairly Red/orange Colour. I Bought Earl Off Another Owner. The Snake - Named After The Program "My Name Is Earl" He is 1.8 Meters Long, The Tank That Hes In Is Roughly 2 Foot, My Dad Is Currently Looking For A New Vaverium, But Not Sure What Size To Look For, What Do You All Think Is The Best Size For Earl??

Earls Eyes Went Milky For About 2-4 Days Thoughout The Week Ive Had Him, And Then Turned Back To Normal Today, His Skin Looks Abit Blistery, Which I Assume Hes About To Shed In The Next Few Days, My Elder Brother, Who Has Got His First 2 Snakes In The Past Week Has Said He Doesnt Think Hes Shedding, But Not Entierly Sure Weather To Take His Word For It. What Do You Guys Think?

Hope You Guys Can Help.
Nirvana

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  22:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum,

a 3 or 4 foot viv will be fine for the snake.

If he went milky and then back to normal he is most likely about to shed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  22:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ladies went from milky to clear and then they just looked mucky for several days before they lefy me a present. As for viv size i would go for the largest yr snake would ever need, section off until space required
Go to Top of Page

MeandMilo
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  19:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
milos in shead at the momment nothing to worry about

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  20:14:27  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  20:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  21:13:54  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting your snake, he/she sounds gorgeous. I look forward to seeing some pictures of him/her. Earl is a fab name.

It certainly sounds like he is going to shed. Usually their eyes do clear a few days before shedding. Some of mine are clear for about 5 days before they shed.
As for a viv size, he does sound like a big lad so a viv 3-4ft wide and 12-18in deep would be fine. My adults are in vivs 3ftx18in and it is perfectly sufficient. 2ft is quite a small tank for a snake of Earls size. Has it come with all the other equipment you need or are you having to get that too. When I got my first corn Alice , he came with what was supposed to be a full set-up but it turned out to be a too-small tank, heat mat, 1 hide and a water bowl. No thermostat and no thermometers. I'm so glad I joined this forum so I could get him kitted out properly.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Nirvana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  00:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting your snake, he/she sounds gorgeous. I look forward to seeing some pictures of him/her. Earl is a fab name.

It certainly sounds like he is going to shed. Usually their eyes do clear a few days before shedding. Some of mine are clear for about 5 days before they shed.
As for a viv size, he does sound like a big lad so a viv 3-4ft wide and 12-18in deep would be fine. My adults are in vivs 3ftx18in and it is perfectly sufficient. 2ft is quite a small tank for a snake of Earls size. Has it come with all the other equipment you need or are you having to get that too. When I got my first corn Alice , he came with what was supposed to be a full set-up but it turned out to be a too-small tank, heat mat, 1 hide and a water bowl. No thermostat and no thermometers. I'm so glad I joined this forum so I could get him kitted out properly.

Hi :)Im Going To Try And Get Some Pics On Once Hes Shed, Not Handling Him As Much Since Ive Noticed His Change, Well The Equiptment He Came With Is, The Light Tank The Bedding, Water Bowl & Thermometer.. Thats Roughly About It, As For A Heat Mat, He Is Currently Being Stored Ontop Of To Big Snake Tanks, And The Heat Is Comming Through The Wood Acting As A Heat Mat, So His Tep. Is Perfect, He Seemed A Little Bored In There, So I Went Down To A Reptile Shop And Bought A Hide, Moss & Other Little Bits. Earl Seems To Be Hiding Alot At The Minute, Is That Because Hes Hiding? Or Is That My Boy Bein Mardy (Like Normal) Haha I Will Try To Get Some Pics Up A.s.a.p (: Thanks For The Helpful Reply :)
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  00:43:42  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He will probably be hiding because he is going to shed. During the shedding process a snakes eyesight is impaired so he will hide for his own safety and security. It could also be because he is in a new environment and just getting used to the new smells and sounds.

Where are you measuring the temps and what kind of thermometer is it? You need to be measuring the floor/substrate temperature where it is hottest ideally with a digital thermometer. The dial ones lots of rep shops sell are notoriously unreliable.

If you want to give Earl some toys to play with, put some toilet/kitchen roll tubes in his viv. Or an egg box or other box with a hole or 2 cut in. Anything goes really as long as it is clean, no sharp edges and no sticky stuff on it (certain woods are toxic tho). Be careful though, you may get like us where everything you look at gets assessed for it's snake toy potential lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  03:15:14  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Welcome to the forum.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Nirvana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  19:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

He will probably be hiding because he is going to shed. During the shedding process a snakes eyesight is impaired so he will hide for his own safety and security. It could also be because he is in a new environment and just getting used to the new smells and sounds.

Where are you measuring the temps and what kind of thermometer is it? You need to be measuring the floor/substrate temperature where it is hottest ideally with a digital thermometer. The dial ones lots of rep shops sell are notoriously unreliable.

If you want to give Earl some toys to play with, put some toilet/kitchen roll tubes in his viv. Or an egg box or other box with a hole or 2 cut in. Anything goes really as long as it is clean, no sharp edges and no sticky stuff on it (certain woods are toxic tho). Be careful though, you may get like us where everything you look at gets assessed for it's snake toy potential lol

Hi Again Kdlang, Im Am Measuring The Temp. At The Bottom Of The Tank, To Get A Better Reading Of The Acctual Heat Hes Laying In, The Thermometer Im Using Is A Dial One, But AsYou Say Its Not Very Accurate, So I Shall Head Out Ant Get A Digital One Soon!

Do You Thinks Its A Good Idea To Change The Things In His Tank Around When I Do A Thoroughel Clean, Or Do You Think That Would MakeHim To Over Welmed & Anxious ?

I Will Try The Toilet/kitchen Roll Tube Soon :) Thanks For All The Help!!! :)
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  22:36:19  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it will be fine if you have a change-around in his tank. Mine always seem to enjoy exploring their vivs after i have changed them about. I have a big box of rep bits - different boxes, hides, tubes, pieces of wood, plants etc. Each time i clean them out I have a change of their accessories and they seem to appreciate it. As long as you make sure there is at least one hiding place in the warm and cool ends and space in the cool end for his water bowl then the rest is up to you.

You can get a cheap digital thermometer off ebay. I will try to find you the link to the ones i get. I usually order more than i need so I have a couple of spares going. After all you never know when you might need them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH-/330521390489?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item4cf49c2d99

These are the ones I get. Usually come pretty quickly too.

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk

Edited by - kdlang on 08/02/2011 22:45:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000