New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  15:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wee diesel is now 1 1/2 yrs im still force feeding large pinkies/fluffs i feel like its going to be for ever he is just under 2 ft long though not very thick but sheds reguarly but i weighed him today he is only 34 grams has anyone got any advice, im i doin the right thing still force feeding he shows no intrest in eating on his own.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  16:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow. sounds like your doing a very good job looking after him! respect to you. can i ask how your force feeding him? when the vet had to force feed prisma it was a case of, essentially, a long thick syringe down the throat and i did wonder what was being fed. the vet said it was just a protein mix.

As for if you're doing the right thing...thats a tough one for someone else to call. only you would know really and you would have to be comfortable with the decision. If i may though, i would say that force feeding IS very stressful for snakes and they dont like it, and i maybe also think that you may have already partially made your mind up, just by asking the question. that really isnt meant to sound offensive btw, i really admire you for helping him for so long but the decision can only really be urs. i just went through a similar thing but in my case the snakes quality of life was next to zero. is your snake still ok apart from the feeding? good luck with whatever you choose to do, im sure it will be the right thing.

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  16:12:06  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

wow. sounds like your doing a very good job looking after him! respect to you. can i ask how your force feeding him? when the vet had to force feed prisma it was a case of, essentially, a long thick syringe down the throat and i did wonder what was being fed. the vet said it was just a protein mix.

As for if you're doing the right thing...thats a tough one for someone else to call. only you would know really and you would have to be comfortable with the decision. If i may though, i would say that force feeding IS very stressful for snakes and they dont like it, and i maybe also think that you may have already partially made your mind up, just by asking the question. that really isnt meant to sound offensive btw, i really admire you for helping him for so long but the decision can only really be urs. i just went through a similar thing but in my case the snakes quality of life was next to zero. is your snake still ok apart from the feeding? good luck with whatever you choose to do, im sure it will be the right thing.

totally agree, omg, you are such a star for perserviering (sod the spelling)
i wouldnt know what to suggest for the best. is he lethargic or active
34g, that does seem a little light for a year old i think my corn is 7 months and just weighed her at 30g (but she not fat lol)

good luck with what ever you decide, im sure what ever it is, its best for snaky and you......and everyone on here will back you 100%

hugs xxx

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  16:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh he is active he did have a few kinks on his back when he hatched but they have disappeared. i did used to syringe feed him a mashed up pinkie but now i just open his mouth and push the large pinkie/fuzzie down some times with the aid of the rounded end of a pen diesel knows the drill. its just with no sign of him atempting to eat on his own i just cant see me being able to force feed for ever he has got good strenghth in him just now which can make it awkward his mum n dad are both over 3ft and range between 380g -500g. i just dsont know what to do for the best, whether to perservere and keep my fingers crossed

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  17:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't offer you advice because i have no experience with eaters as fussy as that! Well done is all i can say

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  17:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
may be silly to ask as you obviously know what your doing but have you tried braining etc? also is there nothing a tad more medical than a pencil lol ;)

what are your temps like? how do you try to feed? do you always offer food first or have you resigned yourself to forcing?

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  17:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually using the round end of a pen is very easy and there is no chance of the snake being injured as it is not sharp and yes over the last year n half i have tried everything you can think of , ocassionally if i dont push mouse all the way down he will swallow it himself but 9 out of 10 times he wil just spit it out. all my other snakes eat great well my python is a bit of a pain in the butt!

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  17:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmm fair enough. wasnt really questionin your methods just wanted to cover all bases before i offered advise y'know. also was jokin about the pen thing, hence the "lol ;)" . you'd just think in this day and age where there's a gadget for everything, there would be a specific, "mouse-pushy-downy" tool, even if it was just the end of a pen moulded in surgical steel!

Well, best of luck in whatever you do choose to do, as was said by Irv, we'll all be here to support you whatever you choose.

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"

Edited by - Benji54 on 03/02/2011 17:52:00
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  19:27:22  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what methods have you tried, then we can work from there (and not go over and over stuff that didn't work)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  20:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx guys its good to know i have your support. Ive tried braining, super heating with the hair dryer, leaving it in with diesel over night.coating it with the smell of a furry mouse also a chicken, heating in tepid water, ive run out of ideas. and yes a special pushy down thing would be good idea.

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  22:12:20  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
try a boiled pinky, gently helped into his mouth if he shows no interest

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  10:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of interest, how long have you left him before force feeding? The max time? Might be worth trying live to get the natural predator instinct going, normally I wouldn't advocate feeding a corn live, but this is clearly an exceptional circumstance.
Where in the world are you?

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  18:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was left for 8 weeks b4 n still no joy. Im in North Ayrshire Scotland

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  20:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, 8 weeks isnt enough, one of my babies did 10 weeks before deciding to eat.

You are a bit far from me, i cant offer you the help i was hoping to!!
I really would have a go with the live feeding, but really leave it 2 and half months before trying, especially as this time of the year is downtime anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Tallchapy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  20:57:52  Show Profile  Click to see Tallchapy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That sounds so frustrating, how long is considered to be the maximum amount of time for the snake to go without food?
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  10:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It largely depends on the snake really, its weight and health, an underweight adult will not go as long as an overweight youngster, but a normal adult can go for 3 or 4 months without food, probably even longer.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  11:56:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some of my babies didn't eat for 12-16 weeks some of them. It's frustrating but they eventually eat. Have you tried a car journey?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 05/02/2011 11:56:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000