A Temperature Conundrum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  21:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following my last corn snake, and considering my current state of being alone all day long, quietly looking for work, and with the offer of getting another snake, after a bit of research, I decided on a Red-tailed Boa. I'm well aware of how large they get and how it's intense to clean up after them and take care of them and the like and, honestly, that's one of the pluses for me: Something to do or take care of right now is really what I need. But that's not my main problem right now.

The main concern of mine is that they need tropical and very temperate environments, along with a lot of handling. Many, many times before, my girlfriend's parents ( we're both living with them ) and we have had stupid arguments about the temperature of the house. They keep the thermostat at 70 degrees Fahrenheit ( 21 degrees Celsius ). Keeping in mind, this means that it's only that 'warm' when the heater has just turned off. With Champagne's thermometer, we've seen the temperature go down to 64 degrees Fahrenheit ( 17 degrees Celsius ). It's enough to keep my extremities freezing at all times.

Now, considering my love of snakes, we do have a space heater that is very powerful, able to produce temperatures up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit ( 32 degrees Celsius ) when it's on a low setting. If it weren't for the fact that the snake would need handling and I obviously don't want to be in that room all day long, do you have any suggestions?

Discuss:

Keeping a boa warm in a cold house, without leading to stupid disagreements.

The best way to keep a steady temperature in a boa's cage ( since the space heater will only keep a steady temperature if we take a few weeks to analyze how high it gets, how fast, etc. )

The best way to heat a boa in general.

...does anyone know how much those thermostat-having hog blankets cost?

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  22:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh! I should also make a comment: This is only a temporary situation, as my girlfriend and I will be moving out within the next six months or so ( hence risking it despite the chill ).

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

79 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  23:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What watt is the space heater
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

79 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  23:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it's going to need a tropical environment it's going to need a large viv type area when older as you don't want the dampness everywhere else my friend keeps torts in a green house and manages to keep that hot with large ceramic bulbs
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

79 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  23:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are not cheap though at about £90 a go
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  00:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The space heater's wattage is 1500. I've already made a point to look up all of the things about raising them, about the changing sizes of their vivarium, about the fact that they'll need to have their own vivarium built for them when they get older. Trust me, I've done a ton of research even thus far, and will likely be doing a lot more.

It's not so much caring for it as an adult that I'm worried about, it's caring for it as a child and adolescent while we still live with my girlfriend's parents in their frozen house.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  08:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it be easier just to wait till you don't have the issue of the chill to deal with ?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  13:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it's only gonna be a hatchie that you're getting then a rub and stat'd mat will do it.
They don't need the temperate climate that you think, even when older a wooden viv will do fine for them it'll just have to be bigger and a bit stronger than a lot of others.

Boas are brilliant and incredibly intelligent snakes, just make sure that if you do get a 'red tail' that it is a true red tail. You'd be surprised at the amount of BCi that get sold as BCc because when young they have very red tails.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  16:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be, but that cancels out the fact that I was hoping to get him for company and because he was going to be bought for me.

Ah. Alrighty. I've been finding such a menagerie of information, some of which doesn't tell me a thing, some of which goes into personal detail of how people have taken care of their snakes. I'll do what I can about being sure of the type as well. :3

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  17:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright. Thus far, the plan has seemed to come down to a humidifier being on at all times throughout the day and night, along with the space heater, which is keeping the room just below 80 degrees Fahrenheit ( 27 degrees Celsius ) by the regulation between one and the other. His tank has both a heating lamp AND a heating pad ( that doesn't seem to be doing what it said it would, at all, which was keeping the tank 'about ten degrees higher than the room's temperature', which only seems to happen when the lamp is on ). I mist his tank a few times a day to keep in moist and, as soon as we have the money, we're going to also get some sphagnum moss to help with the humidity regulation.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000