Handling snake instruction request
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

testdasi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  21:00:13  Show Profile  Visit testdasi's Homepage  Send testdasi an AOL message  Click to see testdasi's MSN Messenger address  Send testdasi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
I just had my corn snake set up for about 3 days now. I think I will have to handle him over the weekend to transfer him from the main tank to feeding tank. Can someone please give me a detail, step-by-step, idiot-proof instruction on how to handle a corn snake?

Mine is still a bit skittish. He saw me just now and immediately made a dash into the hide. If I'm like 6 feet away from him, he's brave enough to poke his head out of the hide. But if I go any closer, he immediately makes a retreat.

Thanks a ton.

=========================
0.1.0 Amel (for sale/trade)
1.0.0 Creamsicle
0.0.1 Q-tip Motley (for sale/trade)

Dreaming for: snow/blizzard.

testdasi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  21:01:15  Show Profile  Visit testdasi's Homepage  Send testdasi an AOL message  Click to see testdasi's MSN Messenger address  Send testdasi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. And he's still a baby. Hatched last year July.

1.0.0 Creamsicle

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  21:31:28  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
firstly, be convident when gowing to grab him,
secondly move anything where he can hide (just makes it easier for you)
use ur middle finger and ur thumb and grasp hid mid section and just get him out, dont be scared of getting bitten, it doesnt hurt
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  21:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put a sock or something thats had chance to soak yr scent in his viv, seems to have worked for loads of people. Gets him to recognise yr scent as something less threatening
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  21:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sometimes find its easier to pick up the substrate as well, I can ease my hand quickly under the aspen and lift him, then once I've got him secure, drop the aspen back in the viv, as ilovemypets says above, the middle section is the place to lift from as snakes don't like being grabbed at either end

Biggest bit of advice is don't be put off! Sometimes they slither off too fast, Vin sometimes appears to teleport!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  21:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its about been firm but gentle and keeping you r movements deliberate and steady. If you flit & flap about you'll scare the snake and it will bolt for the nearest hidey hole.

They are tiny but remarkably tough so dont worry that you will hurt the snake, you wont. You can see a distinct mid section of the snake, its thicker than the neck and tail section, anywhere on that midsection is fine to pick them up but aim to support the body as quickly as possible as they aren't fans of been dangled.

Don't worry about this bit, its all part of the learning process, each snake is a little bit different in how they respond, just remember if it does hiss or bite its just seeing if that works to make you go away, when it doesn't they soon learn its pointless. (it really doesnt hurt if they bite, just stand your ground and dont pull away, you could damage the teeth).

Just get in there, and you'll soon wonder what the worry was all about.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 01/02/2011 21:49:14
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  21:49:31  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
another thing to bear in mind aswel is that once you have started to handle him (as ive recently found out) and your doing it on a regular basis, you and him will create a kind of bond (not in an emotional sense) that will allow you to handle him on a more regular basis and where hes content to do such aswel
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutley, they will associate you and your smell as somewhere safe, warm and fun to climb on. I have had Spot since September and have handled pretty much every day for about 10-15 minutes (apart from feeding days and the next 48 hours and a regurge break but thats another story) and he comes to me when I put my hand in now, he doesn't fear me at all.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:04:50  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cup your hands over the snakes full body and it should curl up so you can scoop it up :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:07:25  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i handle my snake for about 30 - 40 mins every day and he loves it - considering that i got him abwt 3 weeks ago
Go to Top of Page

testdasi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  21:49:45  Show Profile  Visit testdasi's Homepage  Send testdasi an AOL message  Click to see testdasi's MSN Messenger address  Send testdasi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a ton guys!!!

When he saw me, he was running around for his life. But once I picked him up and let him run around through my fingers for a minute or so, he calmed down significantly. The color is amazing!

I handled him for about 10 minutes and then put him in the feeding tank. He just ate a pinkie in a very cute way. Didn't even bother trying to kill the dead pinkie. He simply looked for the head and then swallowed.

Kudos to everyone again.

1.0.0 Creamsicle

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  22:09:59  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well there we go, ur welcome
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000