vitamins and minerals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  20:54:29  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im confused by the fact that alot of shops are selling vitamins and minerals for reptiles but quite unsure about how they help exactly, can anyone shed light on this please

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  21:05:22  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Generally not for snakes, but for lizards like chameleons, beardies and geckos that tend to lack the ability to produce essential vits&mins like Calcium from the artifical lighting they are given in replacement to basking in the sun, and the vits&mins just give them a boost. Snakes, on the other hand, get all their vits&mins from their mice, so its not necessary a lot of the time to dust their food or give them supplements.

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  21:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to buy a powder when I had bearded dragons for dusting/gut loading the crickets with. It had vitamins and calcium which can be lacking in a lizards diet.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  21:31:36  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Most of these things are for other reptiles. As with all retail industries the reptile trade will try to tell you that you really need this stuff for your snake but you don't. They're just trying to make you buy it by suggesting you're not the best owner if you don't and making you feel guilty!! If there's something you think your snake should have just ask on here first and our experts will advise you......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  21:49:42  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok will do thanx all
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  23:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Only my lizards get any kind of supplements for their meals.
I have one of my snakes that will be getting a light dusting on every other feed shortly, but that's due to the hope that she'll lock with my male and a little bit extra for a female that is intended to be bred or for females that have just laid will do no harm.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000