Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  23:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say the only things you will need to do without question is:

-Get them sexed.
-Check for mites.
-Check their general health.
-Quarantine them away from your Royal for 2-3 months.

Other stuff reccommended to do would be;

-split them up.
-Get them checked over by a exotics vet.

It sounds like a lot to do but it depends on the price they are going for as to whether they are worth the trouble.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  23:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
the older one can be a bit " moody"
. I'd see how they are together before you make any decision to change the way they live.

I have to say my two 10 yr old female corns, have always lived together and have very distinct personalities - Tom is very placid and in a good mood 100% of the time. Gerry on the other hand i'm sure has PMT, she certainly didn't like having to wait for her dinner, cos i'd weighed her wrong and delayed their feeding.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  23:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The age makes no odds at all if they're together and the same sex. It's the size that counts and seeing as they're both feeding on medium mice, then I'd assume they're of a similar size.

I had corns that lived together that had the same age gap and were both female. To be honest the cohabiting issue is mainly when younger, you could still get issues as they're older and particularly if one can be a bit feisty. Also is the feisty one a bit more so towards people or everything??
It's totally up to you about splitting or not, I'd recommend it but it's not compulsory so have a good think and make your own choice, but just be ready to split with a spare rub tucked away somewhere if you do decide to keep them together.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

79 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  23:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hubbie says he's going to start charging entrance fee for zoo lol!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  00:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree 100% with K, co habitting isn't always bad, and the majority of the problems come from young snakes.
As for mites, being only 2 animals they would be very obvious, unless in very early stages. Quarantine is always a good idea, although as they won't be living together, impeccable hygiene is more important, always wash your hands!
Feeding and shedding records aren't important, its certainly not something a decision should be based on, I never sell with records unless very young, and I think out of all the snakes I have had I have had 2 with records, they got binned.
2 and 4 year old snakes clearly eat, cr*p and shed, as long as they look in good condition, that's all that matters in the respect. I also wouldn't worry too much about Mrs grumpy, if she's never bitten then she isn't that grumpy, more likely just concerned.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

79 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  19:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have decided against the corns I was looking at something didnt feel right about it.
I desperately want one! Saw some babies today but too small for my liking, the guy I'm getting my royal off tomorrow has a yearling so I'll talk to him about that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000