Substrate Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  15:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, just recently got myself my first Corn Snake, got him about 1 year old off a friend who hasnt got time for him at present as shes looking after her milk, king and royals now, so doesnt have enough time or effort to spend with the lil corn. Have got a viv with a few hides and everything else, however at present I have him on newspaper for substrate. Which Im looking to replace this week, have been doing my research and I know that I should be avoiding Cedar and Redwood woods as these are toxic for all animals. I have been trying to find a suitable substrate to use, Ive been looking in the pet shops / reptile shops but they seem rediculously expensive for such a tiny amount! £8/£9 per 10 litres. I have found in B&Q a bag of Hardwood Chippings for lesson than a £5er. Have been doing my research and cedar and redwoods arent classed as a hardwood, so can gaurentee that they wont be in there, just wondered if any one could advise me anything further on this? I know that once I get it I will have to stick it in the oven / freezer for an hour or so to kill off any potential paracites - although Im sure that it would be pre-treated at the factory for this. Has anyone else used this stuff? any recommendations? as really cant justify spending £8/£9 for 10 litres of chippings, where as I spend a £5er and I get 46 litres!!!

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  15:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In case anyone was wondering the link below is for the chippings, I have checked the health and safety information on the product on the site and it all looks good enough, just reluctant to get it without some kind of information / direction from someone?

Chippings link

Any help would be gratefully received!! :)

Edited by - gmac on 30/01/2011 17:30:06
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  17:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could use it with baking or similar, provided it has none of the toxic woods in it (Pine,cedar etc) but to be honest if it doesn't say what wood is in it, then assume that it has.
We have a few members up your way, maybe one of them later on might be able to point you to somewhere local that does something like aubiose. Aubiose is a horse bedding that looks very similar to aspen, but is about 9 quid for a 25 kilo sack.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  19:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Pine is a no no as well then? Yeah thats what Im worried about, doesnt same what woods are in it to be exact other than non-coniferous hardwoods, going to have to go check it out and see if theres anything more on the packaging.

Aubiose? Sounds a bit more reasonable, money wise, where would I get that too? and does it need to be heat treated before use?

Thanks for the advise
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  19:45:57  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i personly wouldnt like to use it,it could contain pesticides,anti mould agent ect.I see you live in that fabulous place called Bristol,if you have transport you could go to cadbury garden center and get i think its a 20kg bag for £25,it would last you months

Edited by - lee2308 on 30/01/2011 19:48:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  21:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I was thinking that it may be treated with something but doesnt really say alot on the health and safety page on there, may still check the packaging out to see if it has any more information on there. But will probably go with the Aubiose stuff.

Yeah I have transport, is it something most garden centres sell? Cadburys not too far, but quite a few places this side of town I can try first if its in most garden centres?
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  21:53:09  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have search around most places in south bristol for aspen in bulk bags and cadburys was the only one i found as they have a reptile section,i have 6 vivs to clean out totaly every month and these bags would probably last me 4-6 months as its very compacted so for 1 viv it would probaly last a year.Let me know if you find other places.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  21:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well theres a parkers garden centre up the road from me which look like they may sell the stuff will check it out and let you know how it goes tho, going to check out that other stuff in B&Q just incase the packaging has any further information on it, may well even contact the manufacturer directly to ask them if its processed with any pesticides etc as thats all included on the health and safety page on there.

a few other garden centres / sanctuarys that Im gonna try in my area, what side of bristol you from? Im in the Yate side of town sadly, but plenty of garden centres etc to look in so as long as its not pine, cedar, redwood or processed in pesticides etc it should be alright?

Ive read that freezing or heating any found decorative things like stigs/logs leaves etc will kill off any nasties, just wondered if anyone on here had done or does this?

Thanks for all the help and advise so far! much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  16:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update have rung round a few places my side of town today spoke to Parkers garden centre who didnt sell aubiose but gave me the number for Nicholsons Cow Mills which is just down the road, so I gave them a shout, and when we eventually worked out what I was talking about (Prenouced O-biose!) lol she said yes we do sell it but its very expensive so I mentioned the sorts of prices you could get it from cadburys and for how much and she was shocked!! So I asked how much they sold it for and they sell it for £9.55 for a BALE! They also recommended something called Bedwrap but because they werent too sure if it would be toxic or treated with anything they took my number and said they would contact the manufacturers directly.

Next thing I know I get a phone call from the leading expert on the stuff who basically said that Bedwrap was made from rape straw and that it along with Aubiose would all be treated with pesticides and other things in the growing stage but once cut then nothing is used on it and should be good to use.

Bedwrap was £6.64 for a bale, and the aubiose was £9.95 dont quite know what to do now, thinking a bale maybe a lil too much for one corn but would certainly last me a long time! thought Id mention it for you tho lee with your collection! Still debating the hardwood chips tho, checked the h&s sheet again and no mention of any treatment to it unless its the dyed stuff which is obviously a no no. Not sure what to go for, but certainly wont be getting it from a reptile shop at those sorts of prices!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000