What happens to missing snakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zincubus
Hatchling

197 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  19:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a random question but does anybody know what happens to snakes that escape ..... Do they eventually , sadly , starve to death or do they eventually get found by the owner in a dark corner or something ... Just interested .

I suppose that the large snakes are eventually found but smaller ones maybe corn hatchlings presumably starve.

What are your experiences ???

Doogle
Yearling

United Kingdom
617 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  19:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Doogle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Come on michael which one you lost! lol

Touch wood mate i have always found mine a few days later! But i have heard people find them months later and even a year later for an adult!

One person even found a adult years later living in a rockery in the garden! They Caught it and put it in a viv but it acted totally wild so she put it back in the garden! Was a good story but proves they can survive if they find the right place to live and feed!

Sadly though i think a lot do die if not found!

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  20:29:37  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've had two snakes go missing myself, one was found as recently as yesterday morning in the early early hours - you can read up on it in my 'I Found Widget!!' thread in General Keeping.

Ripley escaped as a hatchling, tiny little thing, in the middle of winter last year, in my parents house. Prior to that, another went missing, a little candy-cane, but she's not yet been found. Ripley, however, must have hibernated under the house and when it started getting warmer in June, came out out, had a sniff around and found a shrew kill from one of the cats. MASSIVE it was, but he shovelled it down, and whilst he was eating, he was swept up by my mum, who'd been clearing the patio, who then threw him in a fish tank and eventually into a 4L RUB. The candy-cane was found once by mum in the cereal cupboard, but she panicked, and put her on the floor in the middle to go get something to put her in, and she escaped again.

When I went to pick up Rip myself, when he was allocated to me to look after, a man came to the door, cold calling as they do, and I was currently holding Rip. With no one to take him, it just seemed convenient to take him with me. The guy actually adored snakes, loved seeing Rip, and said he'd had two escape, both of which had appeared 4 years later, whilst his dad had been renovating the stairs of their house! Both were swept up and are back in his possession. They had escaped as hatchies as well, and were massive! Whatever they'd found to eat, they were doing well!

I then, before coming home, went to Badshot Lea, in Surrey, near Farnham. In there, they had two beautiful big corns, no idea of age, but one was definitely a rat-corn hybrid. Both had been lost, and found in the most BIZARRE of places! The candy-cane female (definitely not the one we lost, by the way XD 10 miles away, I don't reckon she'd have got that far XD) was found in Farnham Cemetery, and taken to Badshot to be looked after. The rat-corn hybrid, a massive softie that I'd wished I'd taken, was found in a park! He may have been a creamsicle or something, but he had an almost greenish tinge to him, truly a beast to behold! But yeah, no idea where or when they'd escaped but again, both were in perfect health, and really friendly still!

When my Widget escaped, he was found 3 weeks later in the same flat, in our kitchen. However, in my enquiries over finding him, the pet store over the road had one bloke saying a mate of his had lost a corn, and it had been gone for 3-4 months, and he was in a pub one day when a mate walked over and said 'there's a snake over here looks a lot like yours' and it was! It had travelled 3 miles to get to that pub garden, and again, looked really well!

I guess it just goes to show that even the youngest corn is instinctively built for survival, tamed or not, and they actually do manage to survive a pretty long time! Who knew when that hybrid and the 'cane had escaped, but they sure looked healthy!

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2011 :  09:36:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There's meant to be a colony if you could call them that of corns somewhere around Cornwall/Devon I think. Probably a reason why the Aussies arn't allowed them!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000