New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  13:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well my new carpet python is in her new home! yay! she sleeps next to my bed in an epic 4x2x2 viv. i bought her in the viv she was in at the shop to help her stay settled. obviously she is a rescue and she has had a bit of disturbance/ upset in the last few days and weeks so i wasnt expecting this to be easy BUT i wasnt expecting what ive got lol!

she is VERY bad tempered. she has done a poo (only a littl'un) which she wont allow me to clean out and her hide seems a bit small so i have lovingly made her a bigger plastic one which she could easily snuggle inside and feel more secure and hopefully settle in quicker. this morning when i went to see if she was ok (and evrytime i check her) she is sat on top of her existing hide and just stares at me and releases a genuinly terrifying hiss thats more like a roar! then, this morning after i retreated but stayed watching her she just stared at me, then opened her mouth as wide as it would go and held it open while repeating the roaring hissing process.

i think the new hide would help her feel safe and reduce this behaviour but if i try to put it in i reckon im in serious danger of a pretty nast bite. kind of a catch 22? what would you do?

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  13:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, i cant put a cage round the bulb either which is a big worry for me cause i know how, well, stupid pythons can be. i tried to put it in but she is having none of it!! worst comes to worst i'll man up and take the bite, id rather i get a few cuts and bruises than she does herself a serious injury, she's had a hard enough life as it is.

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  14:28:24  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gloves!!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  14:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i ride a motorbike so have access to a few pairs of very armoured gloves but im a) worried the armour will do her an injury if she does hit it and b) her gob opened about 5" wide and her thickest part is probably about 4 to 6 inches around too so if she does get a hold of me, im not sure how much theyll help! the bite might not hurt, but shed still have a good grip and i reckon with that size snake we are in hospital territory if things go wrong lol! not to mention ill need my face in the viv to reach the bulb!! bugger that! ill be wearin my crash helmet too! good idea tho, ty.

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"

Edited by - Benji54 on 22/01/2011 14:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  17:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely go with the gloves idea!! What an ungrateful snake you have!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  18:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say call her bluff and crack on.

She may not even strike.

Did you handle her before buying her?

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  13:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

I say call her bluff and crack on.

She may not even strike.

Did you handle her before buying her?

sort of. i know its snake 101 to handle and see a feed before buying but due to my work arrangements i got to stroke her, spend time in close proximity to her and she was fine but very timid. she fed fine, i didnt see but i 100% trust the person who did and so i collected her. also, i rescued her for he sake, not mine so even if she'd refused to feed and bit me, id still have bought her. she needs looking after and a bit of love and attention.

i made progress yesterday and manged to get in and change her water, give her her new hide and clean her out but as soon as i touched it was all hissing etc again. ill give her time and patience. at the mo im spending an hour or so when i get in sat next to her viv with the door open and my hand inside, just talking to her. progress is slow but encouraging. im tempted to call her bluff but "what if" sort of springs to mind everytime!

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"

Edited by - Benji54 on 24/01/2011 13:23:07
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  13:42:32  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there rear pointing fang like teeth are buggers if they get a grip just grit ya teeth an crack on lol

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  16:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

there rear pointing fang like teeth are buggers if they get a grip just grit ya teeth an crack on lol

sweet. i knew someone on here had a JCP! mine is a coastal but obviously similar. have you got any specific tips? eg how to pick em out of the viv? i think she might be calmer once shes out as she ssems a bit viv defensive and territorial as opposed to just "being nasty"

how big is your jungle carpet? also, childish question but what is a carpet python bite like? (if you know). she has yawned at me a couple of times and its not exactly a confidence insipring sight lol!

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  14:18:09  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
tbh mine is calm enough that i can just put my hand in any which way an she he will happily let me get him, they only problm u will have if is they are perched on something as the first thing the do is wrap around what ever there on if mine does that i just dont bother i just leave him. what i did to start was only handled mine if it was curled up in its hide as it made it easier to just lift the hide an scoop him up lol.

as for the bite its not that bad no worse than a kid biting its just then top fang ones that do the damage an will draw blood :) enjoy

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  17:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers! i will :) made progress last night, got to stroke her a bit (near the tail) she hissed but didnt move so i persevered and she stopped hissing and let me get on with it...then i got a bit daring and stroked a chunkier bit and she swung her head round and practically roared at me so i took my leave lol! we are getting there. patience is the key...

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  12:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just to keep anyone interested updated, i took gaz's advise and ignored her hissing at first. as long as i stroke nearer her tail she hissed at the start and then settled again and happily let me sit there stroking her and talking to her (the missus thinks ive lost it!) for an hour or two last night and this morning. shes starting to let me stroke further up but still isnt too keen i think. really coming on leaps and bounds now! :)

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  12:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news. I'm sure you will win her over in the end.

Oh and don't worry, my entire family think I am mad, buying snakes, naming snakes and talking to them.
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  13:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Oh and don't worry, my entire family think I am mad, buying snakes, naming snakes and talking to them.

love it! it was ironic really cause my missus was talking to her bearded dragons saying "look at daddy talking to that big snake...look daddy's gone mental"...."errr you too my dear, you too!"

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  13:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

love it! it was ironic really cause my missus was talking to her bearded dragons saying "look at daddy talking to that big snake...look daddy's gone mental"...."errr you too my dear, you too!"

lol brilliant

My daughter calls me 'crazy snake lady'
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  14:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seems a fitting nickname in honesty ;) id take that as a complement!

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  14:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carpets don't tend to mess about, if it wants you, its gonna have you. I would rather have a bite of a big boa than the carpets, they hit hard, sometimes hard enough to snap their teeth off in your hand. I would strongly urge you to use gloves, I use my bike gloves for stroppy boas and never caused any problems.
I used the gloves for the ij's too, although neither bit me in anger, I never even remotely trusted them, they were too good a feeder!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000