New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  21:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I had both snakes out in temporary rubs while I fitted some new heat mats as its been ridiculously cold this winter and the heat mat I had already was too big, so they were in their rubs I look accross to check on them and I see Spots head and half of his body poking through one of the tiny air holes in the lid (and I do mean tiny 6mm diameter). Now Spot is still small but he is no where near as small as a hatchling anymore and he had managed to push his head through the hole and then got stuck about 3 inches down his body. He wasn't panicking I just lifted off the lid, supported him on both sides and very gently had to persuade him to back up. He got stuck again at the head but he did eventually manage to squeeze it back through. I then gave him a very thorough check over which he took quite well considering that I had to restrain him.

For anyone who has used a hot screwdriver to poke holes in their RUB's or evivalent be very aware they are masters of the small gaps. I was very shocked and it took less than 10 minutes for Spot to get into a right pickle, I have no idea how I would have freed him if he hadn't been able to free himself. I never thought for a second he'd be able to squeeze his head through a 6mm diameter hole but he did, that lid is going in the bin and a new one will be bought tomorrow, not going through that again.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  21:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww poor Spot! At least he was tolerant of you checking him over! Definately a warning I'll be taking heed of! Glad he's ok x

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

razza
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  21:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh my god... i knew they could fit though small gaps but that is insane, lucky that you spotted it before he got out.

1.0.0 50% carolina 25% amel 25% rootbeer
0.0.1 creamsicle ?
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  21:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's 2 foot long and 6 months old, after the initial shock I was amazed that he had managed to get so far through such a small gap. Whether he would have been able to make good his escape I'm not sure but I have a sneaking suspicion he would have had I not noticed him. I'm just glad I took so much time making sure there was no scratchy bits in any of the holes and came out the other side of the ordeal without a scratch. Was awful watching him pulling his head back through his mouth came open and distorted, not a pleasant thing to see. Just glad the royal is too fat to fit through toilet roll tubes so he would struggle to escape his temporary box and Spot will be getting a new one tomorrow

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

vetdebbie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  21:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the feeling! We're hanging on to a (relatively expensive) mandarina rat snake for a friend. She's been here longer than originally planned so we moved her to a bigger tub. 20 minutes after putting her in it and taping it shut (turns out they are as bad as corns for escaping), Ads wandered into the snake room to find her about 6 inches out of the airhole - and really really stuck!!! We had to saw her out in the end :S
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  21:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh god, thats a nightmare. Even more of a reason for everyone to keep air holes really really small.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  22:20:04  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How stressful, especially the distorted head bit. Glad he is ok though and he wasn't lost or hurt.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  22:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor spot. Glad he's ok.

I made my rub air holes with a very small screwdriver but they are tiny and no way Nimbus or Marv could fit through.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000