New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  22:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a young corn snake maybe only a few months old but I was wondering why is she very timid and in hiding in the day yet when I come up to bed shes milling around her viv ?

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  22:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert but corn snakes are crepuscular. Basically they are awake/active at dusk and dawn.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  23:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok cheers one more my snakes Bout 44cm long how old do you think she is btw she's an anery

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  23:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its pretty much impossible to age snakes by length or weight. They all grow at different rates. As a VERY rough guide Spot was 4 months at 19 inches (48cm). Anery is my favourite morph!

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  23:22:23  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Newbie_105

Lotabob answered it, but can i ask how long you have had her? Sounds perfectly normal to me. I have one fella that loves exploring all night long and another that only seems to crawl from his hide when its time to eat. Diffrent corns have diffrent life styles.

I would say your corn is approx 4-6 months old depending on her feeding schedule.

Sul

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  23:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of my 3 corns they have very different personalities. When Stella was younger she was always entertaining us, trying to escape and climbing her log etc. Now she never comes out at night, just in the morning. Then Pernod and Sabai are similar ages, 6 months Ish. Sabai is ALWAYS active, Pernod rarely comes out unless I get him out. So they are all different.

I'm hoping my new king is more lively, I've heard they spend alot more time exploring the viv!

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  17:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had her almost a week I know it's the wrong thing to do to interact with her before the settling week is done but still and do you hpthink shell become more active in later life ?

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  19:03:25  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hiding is what young corns do best, even more so if you've only just got her. She will become more adventurous as she gets older :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  21:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool thanks she's got quite large width ways now I was wondring should i start feeding her two pinkies or still one until she gets a little bigger both ways ?

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  21:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You aim to feed a mouse 1.5 times the thickness of the snake at its thickest point and no bigger. You can move up sizes when the prey item you feed leaves little to no bump when swallowed and down in the stomach or just keep up with growth moving up VERY gradually. People on here also double feed before moving from pinkie to fuzzy and fuzzy to mouse but I have always single fed my corn snake without any problems so the choice is yours.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  23:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So 1.5 cm as well as the thickness of the snake at the largest point on it's body ?

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  23:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one and a half times the girth of the corn, so if your corn is 1cm the biggest mouse you would offer is 1.5cm.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  23:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No its a ratio not a direct measurement. Its 1.5 TIMES the snakes thickness, for example if the snake has a girth of 2cm at his thickest part the biggest the mouse would be is 3cm at its thickest part.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  16:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shes being awfully slow today do you know why she's usually very speedy an fast to run around?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000