Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Stat Issues! Please help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  18:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody else got a micro-climate stat? I'm tearing my hair out with this one! I had the temp probe in the wrong area and the mat heated the faun up to 35 degrees in the hot end, so I re-sited the probe into the centre of the warm end, under the substrate, and the stat immediatly switched off to lower the temp.

So it all seemed so far so good, but went to check temps today and the temp on the digi thermometer is 25 degrees in the hot end, but the stat wasn't on, so not heating the mat! Moved the probe a bit so it wasn't buried under too much substrate in case that was keeping the probe warm and in some way not reflecting the true temp.

Now utterly confused about where the probe should be sited and why the digi-thermometer is reading lower than the set temp in exactly the same place as the temp probe, yet the stats not got the mat heating on!

Hope that makes sense! Can anybody shed any light on where I'm going wrong? Vin seems to prefer hiding under his water bowl in the cool end in any case, but still want to get it right! Please help!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  18:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mat stat is set to keep the mat at 30 degrees, just to clarify

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  19:12:53  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Newb,

Depending on the make of thermometer, i would say never go off the stat temp. Allways go off the Thermometer temp. I never look at the stat temp, i just use the adjuster to adjust depending on what my thermometer says.

Hope that sheds light on your question !

Sul

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  19:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sullysteve

Hey Newb,

Depending on the make of thermometer, i would say never go off the stat temp. Allways go off the Thermometer temp. I never look at the stat temp, i just use the adjuster to adjust depending on what my thermometer says.

Hope that sheds light on your question !

Sul

Hi Sully,

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, but what do you mean by adjuster? The part of the stat where you select the desired temp? Beginning to think the stat temp probe is useless! Doesn't seem to register when its gone too hot or when its dropped too low! Thanks for your help with this x

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  19:35:23  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what sully is saying is dont go by the temp numbers on the dial,use a thermometer to read the temps.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  19:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thermostat's probe and the thermometer probe should be directly on the bottom of the faun, weigh them down with something and cover with substrate, the hot end substrate should be no more than an inch thick but aim for just a very thin layer. Snakes burrow so you have to directly regulate the mat's temperature as if the snake is sitting at the bottom.
The temperature markings on your thermostat are at best a guide but you will need to adjust the thermostat whilst observing the reading on the digital thermometer. (NOTE: The temperature will go up and down quite irratically for the first hour, maybe two as the mat heats up and heats the surrounding substrate) Make tiny adjustments to the temperature settings, if its a sunk in dial that you need to use a screwdriver to adjust then a tiny twist can make a vast difference. It may take you several goes to get it perfect. Aim for a temperature of 28 degrees centigrade on the thermometer reading.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 15/01/2011 20:00:35
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  20:06:56  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

what sully is saying is dont go by the temp numbers on the dial,use a thermometer to read the temps.

Thanks Lee! You are now officially my interpreter.
I do have a problem with getting my views accross. My English it terrible. As i am frum Wigan, a sumtarms get all mixed up n errfrifin.

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  20:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone! So glad to have you all on here was worried I'd wake up one day and find either a roasted snake or a snakey popsicle! Thank you all so much xx

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  20:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I do have a problem with getting my views accross. My English it terrible. As i am frum Wigan, a sumtarms get all mixed up n errfrifin.

By the way, your english is absolute perfect, my understanding was impaired! x

Edited by - Newbie on 15/01/2011 20:24:28
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  20:37:04  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie

quote:

quote:

By the way, your english is absolute perfect, my understanding was impaired! x

Well thank you Newb!

I like the one about the popsicle thingy magig!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  14:37:19  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the best place for the probe is directly on the heat mat unless you need really high temperatures (not for corns though :) ).
The markings on the stat aren't calibrated in any way so you can totally ignnore those, I think its a stupid idea having the numbers on there because it leads to people relying on them alone :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  15:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

the best place for the probe is directly on the heat mat unless you need really high temperatures (not for corns though :) ).
The markings on the stat aren't calibrated in any way so you can totally ignnore those, I think its a stupid idea having the numbers on there because it leads to people relying on them alone :(

I think that's the mistake I made, thinking it would be accurate! My set-up may be at fault...the faun rests on little mats in each corner, with the heat mat on the cabinet surface below, so there is a air gap of roughly 6cms between the mat and the plastic base of the faun, so I put the probe inside, thinking it might get too cold in there if the stat probe was in direct contact with the mat, as quite a lot of the heat may be lost in the air gap and through the plastic base. Do I need to alter this? Thanks so much for all the advice! x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000