harrys got PMT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  20:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi we got a baby corn snake has a xmas present for our daugther thought it would be a nice easy gift has she, loves snakes but its not very nice it strikes if you go near it even if you walk passed the tank and when you can get it out its not happy at all we,v read up on them and have taken care with it and am thinking of giving up and taking it back to shop has no one wants to pick it up only me and it struck me three times this morning can any body offer any advice before l feed it to the birds[only joking]

tom riddle

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  20:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome

time and perseverance is the only way forward, as that is what baby corns do. With handling it should calm down. But you will have to be patient

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  20:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As well as patience, i would also think that if you are feeling anxious, tense or stressed by the process this well be evident in the way u behave and will probably be picked up by your snake. (as with most animals)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  20:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS FOR REPLYS BUT HARD NOT TO FEEL ANXIOUS WHEN IT GO,ES TO STRIKE MODE SOON HAS YOU OPEN TANK HAVE TRYED KEEPING HAND STILL AND WAITING FOR HIM TO CALM DOWN YOU CAN SEE HIS HEART BEATING WE PUT A TOWEL OVER TANK IN EVENINGS AND EVEN MOVING THAT FREAKS HIM OUT TO STRIKE TANK, WILL KEEP TRY THOU HAS DO,NT WANT HIM GETTING BIGGER AND DOING THAT CAN YOU GET MUZZLES FOR THEM LOL

tom riddle
Go to Top of Page

dejvid
Snake Mite

Slovenia
36 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  21:12:27  Show Profile  Visit dejvid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And how big is he? You got to be totaly cool (i meen temperament, not temperature)
Just pick him up and show him who is the BOSS. Once on your hand, he should calm down, BUT only if you are calm and relaxed... I also tried that on some wild snakes (nonvenomus of course) and it worked.
That maybe wount worked if the snake is too litle, they are all "agressive" and will try to eat you, but totaly harmless and should calm down ewentualy.

Stop the World, I Want to Get Off

Edited by - dejvid on 08/01/2011 21:20:41
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  21:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately it's as above comments.
Perseverance and confidence is the key.

If it's that small as well have you actually let it bite you yet? Once you've realised that the bite doesn't actually hurt makes a massive difference.

I have a feisty kingsnake (totally different to corns so don't worry about that) she has gone for me several times I avoid most now but sometimes it's inevitable. She is a full grown adult and yet I'll just let her chomp down, she's slowly learning that there's no point in trying to bite as I still win.

Vid of Miss Chalkie here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEvoVtqq4NE
Bizarrely she's a total softie when she's finally out of the viv, it's just the initial getting her out.

Cornsnakes are the easiest snake to get tolerant of handling, a vast amount even seem to enjoy coming out as well. Small hatchies are always a bit finicky as they still have a fair bit of their natural instincts.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  08:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you got the snake did you give him a week or so to get used to his new home? I got mine not so long ago, and the first night he was in his faun i went to check on him, and he was in a bad mood!! shaking his tail hissing!! lol. I left him alone for a week and a bit, just changing his water everyday, then when i finally came to try and handle him, he was very docile and calm, and didnt seem bothered at all. I think they just need a bit of time to get used to a new environment.

Go to Top of Page

saamicaat
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  10:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All young snakes are like this, I've had Medusa three months and she's still a nightmare! At first she calmed down then she started being a little terror again. I've been bitten a few times now and it doesn't hurt at all! They're smaller than you so it probabaly feels threatened by someone so big scooping them up out it's viv, use swift and gentle movements and your snake should soon realise "humans are friends, not food"
good luck!

Medusa the Carolina Corn and Bert the Bearded Dragon.

Edited by - saamicaat on 09/01/2011 10:02:45
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  12:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick question, what is his tank/viv like for cover? does he have plenty of places to hide, specially if he in an area of the house that is active, from his point of view at the moment you are something big that might just eat him, which is why, if he's out in the open and you walk past he is striking out.

unfortunately as above it's all down to time, cover and confidence, it's not without good reason corns are considered a beginner snake. Good luck with the new family member, I'm sure given time he'll settle in.

Oh and nearly forgot.. welcome to the forum

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.

Edited by - scubadude on 09/01/2011 12:19:51
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  16:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking maybe the tank is too big? how big is he? how is the setup? baby corns are better off in a small faun with hides as they do not like space, corns will wherever possible run! (they're cowards lol) They like lots of cover so they arent exposed to too much open space.
As for him striking just pick him up he may well bite but then you will giggle when you realise it actually doesn't hurt at all as babies, when my baby bit me for the first time I laughed. Couldnt believe I had been so afraid of getting bit and with that I think I became more confident and so did she.. the once untamable snake that she was has now turned out into a fantastic snake who I can almost guarentee will not bite or strike now.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  18:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya thanks to everyone for good advice he,s a baby corn in a small tank he is in a very busy apart of the house but the cheeky thing has been laying on is log in open view for two days like he knows we won,t put our hand in there any more lol l do,nt think we gave him time to settle in has the guy in shop told us to handle him straigt away he,s also refused is food and is a bit flakley so we just leaving him chill for a few days to see if he,l calm down and yes l have got bite l know it do,nt hurt but l do,nt like to see anything so upset and aggressive thanks again to you all for taking time to reply

tom riddle
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  13:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its always so exciting when you get a new snake and you jsut want to handle it but I do think it is important to let them settle for 4-5 days in any new enviroment

Welcome :)

Paul T
Corn snake | Corn snake care sheet | Goliath bird eater
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000