New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  00:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, i could do with some help :)

Im a first time snake owner, had zero previous experience and would love someone to answer my few questions please. I also have a picture of my snake who i call Tink lol (tink = tinkerbell) im hoping shes a girl lol the shop said its impossible to tell at such a young age but would bet on it being female. Anyhoo i digress....

If my memory serves me correctly the shop said she was roughly 8 weeks old when i got her and iv had her just under 4 weeks so im guessing shes 12 weeks old.

1. How often do baby corns shed? iv read its quite often as just like humans they are growing fast but dont really have an "average" amount. she shed on the 18th of december but today iv noticed shes spilt all her water making her bedding wet through and is hiding under her bedding alot, her skin also looks TOO shiny.

2. When should i increase her food intake? at the moment i feed her 1 pinkie every monday and dont handle or bother her for 2 days, so i usually handle her wednesday evening. And when i do increase do i feed her 2 pinkies in the same sitting or on seperate days? because if its seperate ill hardly get to handle her

3. When should i get her a proper viv? at the moment shes in one of those exoterra plastic things the shop gave me, its a XL one though but shes growing fast

4. This is probably the most important question.... When will she grow out of the scared stage? She has never bit me or even tryed to strike but when i slowly put my hand in and move towards her she coils up like shes about to strike me but then runs away super fast, i acctualy have to gently but firmly grab her to pick her up and for 30-40 seconds shes trying her hardest to squirm away from me but then begins to calm down.

I know exotic pets arnt like dogs and will never be "tamed" but the 16month old corn at an old college i went too allowed you to pick her up no problem, no running away nothing.

Sorry for all the questions and apologies if iv posted in wrong section, happy to move it or allow a moderator to move my post.

Thankyou all for taking time to read and reply :)

first week i had her

few days ago

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  00:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum and very nice little corn, replies in red.

1. How often do baby corns shed? iv read its quite often as just like humans they are growing fast but dont really have an "average" amount. she shed on the 18th of december but today iv noticed shes spilt all her water making her bedding wet through and is hiding under her bedding alot, her skin also looks TOO shiny.

it does vary for snakes but roughly every 3-5 weeks or so

2. When should i increase her food intake? at the moment i feed her 1 pinkie every monday and dont handle or bother her for 2 days, so i usually handle her wednesday evening. And when i do increase do i feed her 2 pinkies in the same sitting or on seperate days? because if its seperate ill hardly get to handle her

when there s hardly a visable bulge in her tummy after taking a pinky you can move up. And yes it is during the same sitting

3. When should i get her a proper viv? at the moment shes in one of those exoterra plastic things the shop gave me, its a XL one though but shes growing fast.

A few of mine are still in the exos the general rule for upgrading is when your snakes length is greater than the width + the length of the faun

4. This is probably the most important question.... When will she grow out of the scared stage? She has never bit me or even tryed to strike but when i slowly put my hand in and move towards her she coils up like shes about to strike me but then runs away super fast, i acctualy have to gently but firmly grab her to pick her up and for 30-40 seconds shes trying her hardest to squirm away from me but then begins to calm down.

she is still youngand relatively small so there is no set timescale for taming down (so to speak). She is just being a baby corn so perseverance is required here

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  00:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Tink looks lovely - such a tiny little thing

I'm not expert here, but i'll try and help the best i can; no doubt somebody more helpful will be along shortly

1) All corns grow at different rates; it comes down to care, feeding and the individual snake. None of mine were as tiny as yours when i got them, but once a month was the average i think. Being shiny may just be down to being wet and messy - snakies go dull when they are in shed.

2) When one pinkie doesnt leave a visible bump in her tummy you can move up to double pinks. Again since they all grow at different rates there is no set age to move up - it'll be your call! And two in one sitting is what most people do, instead of one twice a week.

3) Getting a proper viv is your call again . My littlest one was in a faun until she was about 10 months old and 2ft long. Now she's in a 2x1ft glass viv... and growing fast!

4) And for the taming.... who knows! All snakes have different personalities. There is no way to tell that one really; just generally as she gets bigger and spends more time with you hopefully she will calm down
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  01:43:58  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know this isn't a reply as such.
But wow that's the smallest snake I have ever seen!

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.
Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  01:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou for your replys everyone :) very happy.

Shes tiny isnt she lol the first pic was a couple of days after i first got her and that particular day she acted more like a royal, just sat in my hand warming up.

Regarding her skin, its wierd really... every now and then the underside of her looks that shiny it looks laminated. And is she a "ghost"? thats what the shop said but im new to this lol

I'v heard putting a t-shirt in snakes viv's helps them get used to your scent? does that really work? with her small tub id have to cut a piece of t-shirt up :)
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  02:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can never tell the difference between ghost and anery, but she looks like one of them

Never tried the t-shirt thing, but my blobs love curling up inside gloves and socks while out and about - make whack a sock in there for her!
...maybe not a horrible sweaty one though lol
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  02:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scott1102

And is she a "ghost"? thats what the shop said but im new to this lol

I'v heard putting a t-shirt in snakes viv's helps them get used to your scent? does that really work? with her small tub id have to cut a piece of t-shirt up :)

Difficult to tell if its a ghost in that lighting, if you can get some photos in natural light would help.

and some people yes have tried the tshirt / sock in the viv with success

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  05:25:16  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
aawww, she is soooo gorgeous, i put a sock in my viv for my hatchy....carried it in my jeans pocket for a cpl of days so it had my scent on it, she likes to hide in it now lol

my hatchy feeds on a pinkie every 5 days, weighed her last feed and shes 18g now, so lookin to try her on a double pinkie next feed

i have her in a full size viv, but ive got so many plants, and hides in there, so she doesnt feel scared

ive had morgana 5 weeks now, and she still is skittish, but she is calming down....just keep trying hun

and welcome to the forum!!

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  10:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww she is cute, welcome to the forum, she looks like my Anery Epi, but as some one else said lighting not that good to tell

1 Carolina Corn- Wizard, 1 Anery corn- Epi, 1 snow corn Casper
Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  13:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replys :D

She's in hiding for some reason at the minute lol Havnt really seen her for the last couple of days as she keeps burying herself in her aspen bedding, is this a hint shes about to shed again?
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  13:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine bury themselves quite often anyway, makes it an extra bit of fun for me when im cleaning them out lol!...really cool snake btw!

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  22:27:49  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww, so tiny and cute. I did the sock trick with all mine just so my smell wasn't such a big threat and they were used to it in a secure place. My first ever snake Sidney still lays on my old sock, by choice!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  13:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im definatly going to try the t-shirt/sock thing. Probably the sock one as shes only in a small exo tub. this is going to sound a little silly lol but what type of sock? a fresh new one out of the washer? or should i wear it for a few hours?

oh and about her shedding, i didnt notice her eyes change colour last time? i duno, maybe i missed it

Edited by - scott1102 on 05/01/2011 13:48:30
Go to Top of Page

JILL KRASNIQI
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  22:55:36  Show Profile  Click to see JILL KRASNIQI's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
New to site.
Have a lovely corn snake 8 months old got 3 weeks ago. The shop said he was handled and tamed but when I bought him
he went for the shop keeper (was shredding at time).
He feeds really well I have stroked him but when I go near his face he hides. Whats the best way to tame him to me
Any tips from experienced snake owners
Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000