New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  10:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very tempted to get another snake in the future.
Can't really go any bigger than 3 foot viv wise due to space,and I'd like something relatively easy to look after that I wouldn't be scared of letting my kids handle....or at least stroke if I was handling it.
I've looked at the possibility of a house snake,trinket snake,hog nose (their venom worries me a bit though),king snakes (although they might grow too big for a 3 foot?) and of course a different morph of the ever so lovely corn snake
Any advice peeps?

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  11:24:47  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
brown house snake, milk snakes, rosy boa, sand boa, those are the other popular small snakes off the top of my head :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  12:26:52  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get a hoggie! You have to consider their bite, BUT a hoggie wont bite in defense, only if your finger is mistaken for food, but you must be confident with hoggies, they are known for being huffy and moody, and pretending to be scary. AND they are really tiny little things too, they dont grow too big at all. Usually a 2ft viv is more than enough. :) Have I sold it to you yet? :P

Or just get another corn, or a royal, they dont need big vivs, I love the faces on royals! Very beautiful!

Whatever you decide will be amazing though, cause snakes are amazing!! :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  13:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Get a hoggie! You have to consider their bite, BUT a hoggie wont bite in defense, only if your finger is mistaken for food, but you must be confident with hoggies, they are known for being huffy and moody, and pretending to be scary. AND they are really tiny little things too, they dont grow too big at all. Usually a 2ft viv is more than enough. :) Have I sold it to you yet? :P

Or just get another corn, or a royal, they dont need big vivs, I love the faces on royals! Very beautiful!

Whatever you decide will be amazing though, cause snakes are amazing!! :P
Tiffany-x

It most certainly will!!! not everytime, but it will if it feels the need to.
Their venom will barely give you a tingle, let alone anything else, not something you really need to worry about, unless you are either very young, (too young to use a keyboard) or very old, and suffer health complications.
They are very huffy though, they give it loads of big bo**ocks when they arent happy, but it is mostly a bluff.
They have to get a good bite on you too for envenomation, so unless you let it chew, its unlikely.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  16:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
King snake, there are loads of kings out there that will not grow out of a 3ft viv, is a good choice so long as you can get past the reputation they have.

There is also Crawl Cay boas they dont grow much more than 3-4 ft so would be fine in a 3ft Viv

Edited by - gmac on 18/12/2010 16:15:48
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  17:19:46  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
house snakes are so cool, they dont really strike they are just really fast

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  18:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas guys.
With the hoggies its the worry of either of us (more the kids) being allergic. I'd hate to find that I was too and then have to possibly get rid of it as I get so attched to my pets. Don't know the chances of having an allergy to them?
I've always had a soft soft spot for royals after holding a hatchling years ago but I'm not sure about them due to their reputation for not feeding.
A bit of attitude isn't something that bothers me,all goes towards an animals character to me. I've had cockatiels for years and enjoyed taming them down from wild nutcases to little softies Its about the effort you as an owner put in a lot of the time I think.
I saw my first house snake a week after getting Loki and bearing in mind it was going through a bad shed it was still a lovely snake. I'd not heard of them till then.
Which of the kings tend to be smaller?

Oh,and affordability is important. I'm not loaded lol.

0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 18/12/2010 18:38:19
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  20:21:00  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are so many beautiful morphs of cornsnake, I'd stick with them. Better the devil you know and all that!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  10:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do have a good point there herriotfan. I know what I'm getting with a corn and they are the reason I'm so smitten with snakes now.
Its not going to be for a bit as I've got a couple of guinea pigs that are old boys now and I'm thinking that when they've passed away I'd get another snake then as I've developed an allergy to my piggies :-(
At least I have time to think and hopefully make the right decision.

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  19:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
get a royal
there repuation for not eating is not a big thing. they only really go off there food when they are older, and its just something u will get used to. i used to be scared of the royal because of it, but i overcame that, and now have 2, with plans to have many more in the future

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  19:45:44  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah a crawl cay boa! (on my wish list!) or a hogg island boa (males get around 5FT) or a corn island boa (again on MY wish list!) infact any dwarf locality boa!!!!! but a corn would also be a good choice!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  21:16:54  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if ya worried about how deadly a hoggie's venom is as Sika how bad it is as hers had a her the other day

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  21:22:23  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
theres a good read here (with pics) about a hoggy bite: http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2010 :  21:45:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's so eww eeji! I've seen it before but it still make me feel ill, the swelling amount XD

Maybe if you really wanted a hoggy you could get an allergy tests done by seeing a GP?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  08:32:48  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
USUALLY, not always but usually you will only have an allergy if you have allergies to other types of bites/stings. And you must remember, even if you have an allergy the chance of being bitten is extremely small, because despite what Mike said, if they are scared they more often than not ust put on some daft show, then every once in a while they will play dead, but this isnt as common in captive bred hoggies. Ive never heard a story where the snake bit in defence and I have spent hours googling their bite in hope that I could make myself less worried and now I am. And if they do bite, its takes a bit of chewing for the venom to reach you therefore if its a tiny little snap its unlikely for you to even be touched by the stuff. I know you can walk into my local pharmacy and just ask for a standard allergy test, but for something like this it might not be so easy. People dont tend to walk down the street and get bitten by their local hognose. ;) But honestly, I wouldnt be worried unless you do have allergies to other such things, in which case, there is someone on this forum that has a hoggie and has a lot of linked allergies, although I dont quite remember who, someone from THS might know, but a chat to that person might help you to get a little more clued up.

My vote is still for a hoggie, always will be, I love the little things!! xD
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  19:00:46  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
house snake ;) have one at my work dont strike just fast (like all hatchlings) will have a free tank soon so who knows ;)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  22:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well,I've had a good look around and based on the care,size,appearance and personalities (in most cases) I think it will most likely be another corn or a house snake.
Thanks for all the ideas and advice

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  23:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've fallen in love with tree boas and tree pythons. They are beautiful little beasts. They have a repuatation for been fiesty and vicious but I think that its just because their bite is savage (HUGE TEETH) and you don't forget their bite in a hurry.

Hi my name is Rob and I'm a snakeaholic!

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  08:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah,I fell in awe with one a bit back in a reptile shop we used to have and I had the pleasure of seeing its teeth. MAHOOSIVE for the size of the snake,very much needed though

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000