New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

animal_crazy_lady
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys n gals (not giant african land snails!!)
Just been looking at everyones recent pics (great btw!)
I want to take some of jake without being on my hand or in her viv but i dont dare let her go! thers loads of pics wher the snakes are on towels, on the floor or even climbing up cupboards! i dare put her on the scales but thats about it, then again i feel safe doing that coz the bowl has sides!
my friend had a cornsnake and she used to let him wonder around the front room.. i want to have more fun with mine rather that just getting her out to clean the viv!
HOW DO I GET BRAVE AND LET GO!? hehe x

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard isn't it. I've seen people do it but not dared myself till earlier this week when I tried it with Loki for the first time,little tinker pooped on the carpet though! I was like some over protective mother,had my hand over him all the time.
Needless to say I bought them some towels this weekend and Falcor had his first roam around on his this morning. I rolled the edges over with the thought that it may slow him down if he shot off. He was really good and didn't do any dashing off

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Edited by - Mort13 on 05/12/2010 21:11:51
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:11:41  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could buy a lead. And take him for ....erm.....Walkies? no....wrigley's??

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

animal_crazy_lady
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i think i saw your post earlier mort13, braver than me! spose roling the sides up would put me at ease too, good idea!
a lead? really? sounds weird haha :p

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:25:08  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I normally pop Tiko on my sofa seat, he is allowed a bit of a free range but once he tries to escape via the cusion edges i just lift him back. I wouldn't go for the floor as there are too many nooks and crannies in my house but i have big empty spare room so will be trying that soon.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah,it doesn't stop them if they want to go over the top but they tend to slow down. It helps that he's a very calm little boy too though.
I was kneeling on the floor with him well within arms distance too. If he looked like he was getting too far away I picked him up and put him back in the middle. Sure he was cursing me!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:45:00  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i just let him on my bed watched very closley

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I let Charlie go on the stairs! I let him closel go on the carpet but always have a hand on him but I started on the stairs and that is where he gets most of his freedom but my other Matilda I tried her on the stairs the other day and she was well too fast!!! she wasn't near ready to cut the apron strings lol!!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  22:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lay out a towel on the floor and curl the edges too, I also wrinkle the towel up so he has cracks & folds to explore.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  13:22:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The larger the snake the more comfortable you'll get with letting them roam supervised.
I haven't let any of mine that are small roam off person.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:14:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't dare letting something that's under 2 foot free roam, I don't like my 5ft corn free roaming unless sit's a very big open space otherwise he will decide he wants to go hiding in a chair, pant draw, bed, tv or anything else and once he's decided that and has a good grip, that's it! Not fun cutting a snake out of a chair.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

animal_crazy_lady
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  13:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stairs is a good idea too coz she cant get anywhere! also like the rippled towel idea!
thanks for your replies... wish this site had a 'like' button!! :p
take it your snakey had a trip to your undies draw too then sta~ple?? lol

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  20:19:52  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't ike my snakes on the stairs, they can't climb because of the carpet you see so they get tempted to use the wooden side thing and they get too good a grip for me to take them off XD

Yes, my pants and my mums pants. Bit weird for my mum to find this orange head peeping out of a pant leg hole sticking it's tongue out madly, then digging about in the pants so it manages to get like 3 pants down the length of his body...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

animal_crazy_lady
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  20:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha i like it! cheeky little thing, hope it didnt leave any presents in there for you!
iv got 2 solid sides to my stairs, ill give it a go anyway, just to see what happens! shes just had a huge poo so ill be gettin her out soon!

Go to Top of Page

animal_crazy_lady
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  22:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt like it, shes too fast! :/
Cleaned her out then before I put her back in I let her have a wonder in the draw under the bed. I pulled it rite out and lined it with towels, she stayed in her toilet roll tube for a while then started to have a look about! went to grab her before she went missing under the towel and she tried to shoot off! me no like!! haha.
I think i will stick to letting her roam through my fingers and up my arm hahah!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000