New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading parasites are all too common i wanted to eradicate the possibility mine could ever get ( total phobia of creatures!) I have put their aspen in the freezer lol! (much to the OH's annoyance) but ready to do a complete viv clean out again ... How long before I do it do I need to get the aspen out the freezer and how long to leave it to get to room temp to be able be put in do you think?

I know it may sound totally over the top but I just cant do creatures!

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
freezing will only kill the live beasts and not the eggs, to make sure all life is killed you will have to bake it in the oven or microwave so be prepared to annoy oh by cooking the aspen

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh right thanks for that. Best way to oven cook then? Looks like im of to buy a snakey baking tray. Is there not a substate I could use without going to lots of effort onthas guarenteed mite free? Its just that I kept the aspendown by the side of me and saw some creature crawling by the bag (probably a harmless house mite but I totally over reacted wacked the whole bag wrapped in more bags in the freezer and there it is staying as will every other bag till I need it. I'm such a girl I know but I overcame my snake phobia hat has to count for something... but creatures,... no way!!
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kitchen towel

Bake in oven at 100-160deg C, not for too long though dont want to overcook it

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:23:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Off topic/thread jacking but it is related, but how do you know the aspen is cooked enough, does it go like a waffle golden brown :D also does the microwave work for this or would it catch fire easily? I have a feeling with the damp of my garage that my substrate will have some nice little critters in there XD

Only bug free substrate might be your paper or the reptile carpet stuff or this rubstrate stuff.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant thankyou!!
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I've read about the astro turf that you can wash and reuse but I have looked (not in depth yet) but not as yet found anywhere. When I do find somewhere I will buy that instead as I find aspen messy yet it seems to have high ratings.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing with the repti carpet is the snakes can't burrow in it.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:35:42  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aspen abrobs poo very well though well not as good as megazorb but still good :p bt I do no what you mean by messy, I seem to be forever hoovering up bits of substrate! I dod look into atrso turf and rept carpet a year ago and decided no, apprently after some washes peoples rep carpet curled at the edges although maybe it needed an iron haha. I have been debating if to buy this for ages, like a year now http://www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk/rubbstrate---re-useable-reptile-substrate-510-c.asp. Bug free is which why I was attracted to it but it wont be absorbent :( I might have to haggle for a tester somehow XD

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link is broken but i got to the site, I like the idea of reusable.. though maybe look into it. I dont care how much it costs as long as it will work out a good investment in the long term hehe. If my snakes got mites would cost me an arm and a leg,, but then I dont think i would be able to stnad up to the mark and even handle them whilst they had to see it through so prevention to whatever costs is worth it in my book lol.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  02:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't deprive Spot of somewhere he dig, burrow and tunnel, I find it really funny watching him push under the substrate and then popping up else where and been black & white he looks like the strange sand beastie out of Beetlegeise. I looked into the reptile carpet but it just looked cold and boring.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  15:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you get mites, which will only come from another snake, or from bedding from a store that has a lot, then the first you will notice them, is when it will be too late, they will be in the carpet, behind skirting boards etc.
The point is, you cant stop your snake from EVER having mites, you can only reduce the liklihood of it happening.
What you are doing is fine, microwaving the aspen would work also, and you dont have to do it for too long, microwaves kill quickly.

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  16:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou for the advice! My snakes do not have mites at the moment. I will be microaving it before I use it also :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

82 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  16:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

What you are doing is fine, microwaving the aspen would work also, and you dont have to do it for too long, microwaves kill quickly.

how long is long?

Go to Top of Page

NatashaK
Egg

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  11:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little one got mites from the aspen we got from the local reptile shop... Im still in the process of treating him for them but luckily i havent seen any more for a while now. When i get his faun back to normal i'll be microwaving the aspen first... My friend microwaves his too and he says that 10-20 seconds does the trick :)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:35:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did some more research on the rubstarte, not good :(

Oh dizzie, ahve you thought about using horse aspen? I get something called aubiose from pet's corner, they sell no animals there so I know for a fact there's going to be no bad bugs that could harm snakes in the bag.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000