Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Where exactly do you put the digital thermomiter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  22:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might sound a silly question but my set up is as follows 3ft by 2ft viv with 2 1ft b 1ft plastic fauns inside. Each tank is just over quater on the heatmat.
To date i have had the theIrmostat sat ontop of a little bit of aspen on the main heatmat (not in the fauns as I'm running one heat mat to 2 fauns- I do have another but only one thermostat and the 2 fauns fit onto the one perfectly.
I put the digital thermomiter probe right next to the thermostat probe and have been getting fluctuating readings between 27+30c ....

Today an alarm has been going off and it's been driving me crazy! I thought it was a smoke alarm in need of new batteries but no its the digital thermomiter going off because it read a temp of 24! I immediately went into see what was going on but could feel the warmth off the bottom of the fauns as I picked them up ... the probe had slipped from where I had positioned it origianally.
I decided to place the thermomiter probe inside one of the fauns as both are in identical setups on the same heatpad etc and thought a reading from inside would be more accurate... the temp shot up to 34c ... I've immediately turned the thermostat down but I wonder why am I getting different readings of such a difference depending on where exactly the probe is,,, it reads cooler when on the heatpad than it does inside the faun.
Something isn't right in my setup is it? where exactly should I place the digital thermomiter??

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  22:10:05  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not 100% sure about thermometers, but I place the probe for my thermostat on the outside of the tanks but on top of the heatmat, there should be 26-28 degrees I believe coming from the heatmat.
That's what I was told to run mine at anyway :).
Hope that helps.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  22:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thermostat probe is on the outside on the heatmat but ontop of a really small layer of aspen as the heatpad is penetrating plastic fauns and then the aspen in the faun so was trying to replicate that by placing the thermostat probe ontop of a thinklayer of aspen. The thermomiter probe has always been right next to it reading between 27+30 but keeps slipping which is why I put the probe inside one of the fauns and was astonished to get such a different but yet much higher reading of 34c! But with such different reading Im wondering which is the accurate one,, where should it be? I read right next to the thermostat probe but the reading is much lower there than it is in the actual faun where the snakes are?
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  22:31:37  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would put it on the inside, right on the heatmat, but I'm no expert.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  22:33:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was your probes placed in the middle of the mat not really at any of the edges of the fauns by any chance? I know if I out my probes in the middle of the mat thats is shared by the two in tubs I get a bit lowwer reading than right next to a tub. Also, were the probes pinned in place by something?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  22:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes the probes were in the middle of the mat inbetween both the fauns. the thermostat one still is. I had a weight pinning the probes to stay in place but I get the fauns out of the viv to get the snakes out so they get disturbed daily.
Now the thermomiter probe is inside one of the fauns right at the edge ontop of the aspen and read 34.... i've turned the thermostat down and got the temp reading inside the faun now at 31.1 but fluctuating between 29 and 31.6c atm.
Their setup has been as it was since day 1 only today as alarm was going off on the thermomiter I have changed it both snakes rarely sit on the bottom except after feeding otherwise they both tend to coil round a plant that again are identical... They have totally identical setups
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  22:53:59  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could try tucking the probes right near the edge and so it's touching of one of the fauns and weigh that down or just do that with the stat probe and have the thermometer in one of the fauns in the hot end touching the very bottom of the faun and see if that gives a better reading. It's a bit of a faff if you get the fauns out the viv as you have to reposition everything but it works for me. It doesn't tend to work so well if your reading the middle of the mat I found as the weight of the faun isn't near that area and Heatmats work better in area's that are weighted it seems for what ever reason.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  23:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would make lots of sense! I didn't think of the weight on the heatpad and having probe in the middle.... but makes a lot more sense! The thermomiter is now in the one faun... I wont be long off to bed but turned thermomiter down now to get readings of fluctuating 29-31c readings... dont want to mess with stat tonight as I know I am not going to be up long enough to monitor the temps but will change position of the stat probe to maybe be weighted under one of the fauns? It's not a long term thing I am planning on turning the viv into a 2sectioned viv as they outgrow the fauns in the very near future... thinkCharlies almost ready to have half the viv but Matildas still a bit small.
Just be nice to get a constant temp going without constantly having to keep an eye and alter thermostat setting... which wouldnt be near as much of a task if the probes were put in the right places to begin with! Thankyou so much for your assistance! Makes a lot more sense!! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000