Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toontoon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  11:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have bought my corn last night off a lady who no longer had the room and have a few questions. Hopefully someone can help. The Viv i have bought off the lady has three lights in it not sure why?. One is a tube light which doesn't work and has wires going into a grey box, a red heat light and a normal bulb light. Could somebody tell me if i need the red bulb and normal bulb on at the same time or sat different time? If there is a need for them to be on different times could you tell me when please. i only ask this because both give off quite a bit of heat i think.
The thermo is plugged in and has a dial. I have set it at 25oc is that ok?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  12:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only owned corn snakes in the last 8 months so I am still learning myself. The tube light does not need to be used and although we can not see it, they constantly flicker and this can stress the snake the grey box the wires go into is the starter unit for it. Although my vivs have them in I do not use them at all. I am assuming that the normal bulb you speak of looks like a normal household bulb. This was probably used for visual purposes for the previous owner more than anything else. I would say that the red bulb is for heating or for viewing the snake at night. I only use a heat mat in my vivs for the corns as they require under belly heat rather than overhead heat. If you switch any of the bulbs on they MUST have a guard over them to prevent the snake from getting burnt by them. Any heating unit whether it is bulb or mat MUST be attached to a stat so that it does not overheat and you can control the temp of it. I would say that 25oc is a bit on the cool side. You need to be looking for temps of around 22-23oc in the cool end and around 29-30oc in the warm end. A digital thermometer should also be used to take the temps as thermostats are not awfully reliable when it comes to telling the correct temp. I'm sure others will be replying soon and will correct me if I am wrong in what I have said about the red bulb. You could post some pics of the set up as i'm sure this would help.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

toontoon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  13:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok i will take a photo and put it on here! i will take out the tube light. i will get a cage of the lights as well. I was aware of that anyway. So do you think i need the normal bulb light on during the day and heat lamp on at the night?

If the heat light is on will that increase the temp of the viv? and if it does will the temperture regulate in the viv. If you know what i mean?

as you can tell i am a little ocnfused as to what the previous owner did!
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  14:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no reel experience with using lamps in my vivs for heating. The latest arrival i have came with a viv which had a basking lamp in and a heat mat and a tube light. I let the lights come on as the previous owner had them (they were all on timers) and the temps reached the 40oc way to hot. So i find it best to just use heat mats for corns as they are not a tropical species. Room temp if you have heating in your house should be fine for a corn as the ambient viv temp and a heat mat would then provide a nice warm spot for the snake to lie on. Using a heat light will increase the overall viv temps and it would need to be on a stat which would then mean the light would go on and off throughout the day. To heat other then using a mat i think you would need a ceramic lamp as this emits only heat and no light. I think some may use lamps but I would be very wary of them because of the intense heat they can produce. Also a corn does not need artificial lighting of any sort if would only be for your benefit of viewing the snake. If you have your curtains open during the day then that is all the snake needs regarding light.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000