Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 My mate had a snake once and it kept lying nxt ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  22:39:46  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
.... To him. So he too it to the vet etc......

Can anyone finish off the story that I hear every day by lying n*b eds.

People tell me this all the time that they have a mate who's snake did this .com

How many of you hear this story often? And how do u react ?

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  22:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my god its so annoying!!
''I read in the paper once...''
''i heard it on the news once...''

NO people, you didnt! i interrupt the story before it begins nearly! And say that my snakes couldnt eat a rabbit let alone a human, so there is no need for the story to be told! God it really annoys me actually!

Good Point Sullysteve!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  23:04:54  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha!! So it isn't just me who gets weed off!!
I just sit back and listen with amazement and say "wow that's scary, I didn't know that" and crack on it's the first I have heard. I must have heard it fro 20 diffrent people, all claiming it was a mate of theirs !!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  23:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah i honestly hear some variation of it every time somebody finds out i have a snake! A few of my teachers spouted it out too, and i was able to tell them that they were bullsh**ting!

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  23:35:28  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No way! I wonder how many more snake keepers have heard it lol.

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  23:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No better place to find out...!

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  23:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've lost count of how many times I've heard it, normally I just respond with a sarky "really, how nice".
I did however tell my niece a couple years back when one of the corns escaped and was found in her bed with her, that it was measuring her up. So I am sort of guilty of it as well, although the corn was only about 3 1/2-4ft long. She was 13 and about 5ft 3.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  00:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Kehhlyr, don't you know ''snakes can stretch their jaws REALLY wide to fit in prey!!'' I get that too.

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  00:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favourite things people have said to me about my corn snake is

* Yuk, slimey critters.
* How do they dislocate their jaws?
* Keep it away from your neck it will strangle you

Now something tells me they have never held or seen a real snake before. I have had to explain to more than one person that snakes are not slimey, they dont dislocate their jaws, and seriously its 18 inches long and snakes dont randomly strangle things for fun they constrict the chest of something they fully intend on eating.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  09:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol,its a frightening thought though. I've put locks on my kids bedroom doors just in case Loki and Falcor escape and decide to eat my children.
I'm sure with how wide they can open their mouths that they'd be able to suffocate them by constriction of the nose!!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  10:07:39  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Surprisingly I've never had anybody tell me about how mad I must be to have snakes that will do all these things.....maybe I got the wrong snakes!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  10:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mum is absolutely convinced I am a big fat liar and my corns snakes will eat my cats, no matter how many times I tell her the cats are far more of a danger to the snakes - especially the hatchlings. Oooh, moving string!!

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page

Morpheus
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  11:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm amazed at how many people 'have a mate' that has a snake at all let alone a man-eating (or woman or child eating) snake!

I too have heard that story.. like many other urban myths, I tend to drift off and not listen!

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  16:13:11  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Every single friend of mine told me this story in reaction to me talking about snakes, how gullible must people be to believe that! And my mum (AFTER I told her how thick corns are) asked if it could eat my dog. Ffs, even if it managed it would be one dead snake, but its not physically possible. In general most people know so little about all animals that it is just worrying. :S Stupid people! Obviously not even HALF as intelligent as us lot eh? ;)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  16:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep been there heard that. You can just imagine in the wild the snake creeping up on prey and laying next to it to make sure it's the right size to eat !!

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  17:37:54  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah heard this stupid story loads of times...all my friends say it will eat me then when 'the brave ones' come round and let them handle it they say its cute and it wont eat me......now some girl at my school is getting a pair of corns after comming into the shop the over day and according to her friends it is going to eat her....OH DEAR!!!

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  18:48:00  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think just about everybody has a friend of a friend who this happened too. Its crazy just how many people actually believe it.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  20:50:47  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got told the same story. I just said it probably wasn't sizing her up to eat her, it was to find out if it could mate with her since it had gone off it's food lol.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  21:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I got told the same story. I just said it probably wasn't sizing her up to eat her, it was to find out if it could mate with her since it had gone off it's food lol.

I'm so gonna correct people with that.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  21:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its quite disturbing that my animal management college tutor believes that story...
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  23:38:13  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I offended someone by saying that the story was complete rubbish! Even after explaining why it was they still believed the person they heard the story from! Oh well, I guess some people just don't like to be wrong.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000