Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

meesh505
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  23:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys!
Need a bit of guidance about the sizes of Shadows meals!

When I got him he was on 2-3 pinkies every 5-6 days, I was a bit unsure so was gave him 2 then moved him on to the 3 on the next feed.

I give him the bigger looking pinkies out the bag! Someone had said it might be time to move him up to fuzzies so I went back to the shop I got him from since they know his history etc, it was a different person from the last time I went in! I told the girl what he eats and asked about fuzzies, she asked how big he is, I said about 21". She said id be best giving him mice or rat pups, I wasnt convinced but bought some of both anyway since I still have half a bag of pinkies to use up, figured id try him on a mouse and see how he got on! I asked her several times "are you sure mice and rat pups arent too big?" she said he would be fine!
I got home took a mouse out the bag and defrosted it but the more I looked at the pinkies and then the mouse I lost all confidence in it and couldnt bring myself to feed it to him!
Im really not sure now, id like to trust her and try a mouse but I dont want to harm him and understand that if its too big he will spit it back up and this isnt good either!
Please could someone help me out?
I can take pics of a pinkie next to the mouse and rat pups if this helps but sure you guys know what size they are!
Thanks again x

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  23:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the easiest way to figure out what food size is suitable is by getting food that is 1.5 x the width of the snake at its thickest part maximum. if it was on pinkies the next step would be fuzzies. Length of the snake is not important when feeding it is what it can easily take inside its tummy.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  00:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above, look at the snake atits thickest point and the biggest should be 1.5 times that thickness at the foods thickest point. Rat pups are meant to be full of fat, I wouldn't say they gave you the best advice there, feed too many rats and it wil get fat. My snake is not even 20" long and he is on fuzzies, I didn't double feed, once he was thick enough in the body for a fuzzy I switched to fuzzies. If you can ask to see the box/bag of fuzzies they have in the pet store and pick your own fuzzies you are the best judge of the right size. 3 pinkies every 5-6 days is a lot if he is still at the pinkie eating stage so its probably best to move up.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  08:43:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
pinkies to adult mice is a huge step up in food size, i'd definitely go for fuzzies first if only for a short while

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  09:58:51  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If I were you I'd get some fuzzies and give your snake a fuzzie and a pinky until all the pinkies have been used up. Then I'd go onto two fuzzies for a couple of feeds then move up to a small mouse. If they don't seem big enough then have a couple of feeds on small mice before going up to medium mice.
Quite often on here we hear about the advice from pet shops and a lot of the time it needs adjusting!! If you have any issues please ask, there are lots of owners on here with a wealth of experience and knowledge who will help.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

meesh505
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  12:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah thats what I thought! So glad I didnt go ahead with the feed!
Am defrosting his 3 pinkies for dinner till I get some fuzzies.

Am really annoyed at the girl in the shop, it takes over an hour to drive to the shop and costs me a fortune on ferries etc, will be ages before Im back over again so will need to order online!

At least I now have stock of bigger feeds for when hes ready!

Thanks everyone x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000