New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  08:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a thermostat with my heatmats of course but I have some particularly burrowy snakes. Bellatrix especially much prefers to be underneath just about everything, including her heat mat. As it's got a stat it wont' burn her but it just looks a bit messy with the mat all over the shop and substrate half covering it etc.

Is there any way to secure down the mat? She has a halved, hollowed birch log on top of it but although it's quite meaty she can still burrow underneath it and cause disruption. What to do?

Or should I just resign myself to having an untidy house for Bella?

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about other people,but I secured mine with a few dots of aquarium sealant. Not so much that I won't be able to remove it though if I need to.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:19:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i pin mine down with heavy decor such as hides and rocks but that might not be sufficient for a particularly determined corn lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gregDT
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  14:10:32  Show Profile  Visit gregDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've read several times from the big brains on this forum that any form of tape (sticky, celo, duct, masking etc etc) is an absolute no. Seems sticky tape and snake scales do not go well together. So avoid tape like the plague IMHO.

Sealant as mentioned by Mort is popular. I follow Gingerpony's advice though, as my snake is fairly large and has a big Exo-Terra hide on top of his mat. Plus he has never been much of a digger. Spends most of his time climbing not digging ?

Greg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000