New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fisher
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2010 :  22:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello people im new to this internet thingy,my kids have been after a corn for ages so after much research on this forum we visited a rep shop to handle some babies and we are very impressed with them,they were 8 weeks old,i liked them too.i want to get them 1 each for christmas but dont know if you can only get babies at certain times of the year?PS my kids are ten and responsable for there age.thanks for any help

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2010 :  22:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so long as you understand you will be ultimately responsible for the snakes, getting them for the kids is fine. Also where would you be keeping them, would suggest not in their rooms lol.

young corns are available pretty much all year round not sure what you would class as a baby though.

and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  02:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

so long as you understand you will be ultimately responsible for the snakes, getting them for the kids is fine. Also where would you be keeping them, would suggest not in their rooms lol.

young corns are available pretty much all year round not sure what you would class as a baby though.

and welcome to the forum

^^^^^What he said

And hello and welcome to the forum
Any questions, just ask or use the search and ask again. The majority of us are a friendly bunch, if a bit nutty.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  07:17:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

and to echo the previous posts - as corns can live 20+ years then as long as you're either happy to look after them yourself or sell them on/rehome them should your little darlings not want to or be able to care for them (eg.if going to uni)it sounds like a great idea

hatchlings are available pretty much all year round but you'll find a glut of them over the summer and autumn. prices tend to be good this time of year as often breeders are wanting to move on their babies in preparation for starting breeding again and shops find they've still got a lot of stock!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  12:06:44  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Inkygirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
256 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  14:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum! x

1 Bearded Dragon, Gino
1 Terrapin, Tulip
1 Iguana, Edward
3 Corns Cora, Travis,Leon
and Angus
1 Normal Royal Python, Lexi
1 Boa Constrictor, Zara
1 Granite Burmese Python Bernie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  14:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello & welcome

1 x Carolina corn (Hector)
1 x Royal Python (Rocky)
Castleford West Yorkshire
Go to Top of Page

fisher
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  16:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the hi`s and welcomes,they would probably live in the kids rooms or our living room,i know ultimately they would be my responsibility,as for babies i was not sure if you had to wait several weeks after hatching,can you buy hatchlings or do you have to wait and if so how long?thanks again people
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  19:12:28  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  00:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its best to wait until they have a proven eating record, a non feeding hatchling is never good. When picking a snake ask the breeder/shop for their feed/shedding records, check them over for lumps, bumps and any damage to their scales.

Will you be housing them together as there is a slight but real risk of one eating the other when they are small. I would also say the living room would be a better place for you to keep an eye on the snakes as you do need to keep an eye on their temperatures and also they are brilliant escape artists, they only need the slightest gap or a split second with your back turned and they are gone, search escaped snakes on here to see just how common it is.

I have to say your cool parents though, I'd have loved snakes at 10 years old, your kids are so lucky.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  08:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,I'll second lotabob there. You definitely want to make sure its a good feeder. My kids wanted a baby corn after seeing them in the pet shop. I asked about them and they showed us the 2 that were established with their feeding so the kids had a hold and look at them and picked Loki.
10 weeks later I bought one for myself as I'm smitten with Loki! I got Falcor from a breeder though as the ones at the shop weren't for sale (non feeders). Nice as I have his hatch date,shed and feeding records)
Both snakes are in the lounge in a partitioned viv as didn't want them together just in case. The kids love watching them in the evening,when they are fed and obviously handling them. Wouldn't recommend having them in the kids bedrooms as if they are out like my kids (8 and 10) they can be rather lively and the vibrations could stress out the snakes. plus if they are in the lounge you get to see them too
Good luck and hope you find some little babies. The breeders are getting rid of theirs now though so you might be on a bit of a time limit though and possibly a good pet shop may be your best bet.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:33:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a good breeder or shop won't sell you a hatchie without it having several 3+ consecutive feeds

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  10:15:55  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  14:21:39  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  22:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome to the forum :)

http://www.care-sheet.com/
http://www.wikipets.org/
http://www.wikipets.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic