New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  21:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd say hello to everyone, I've actually had Spot for three weeks now, at the last weigh in he was 21g and approx 14-15 inches long. This site has been very useful not just for any questions that pop up but also in the decision process, I had wanted a snake for years and finally decided to get myself one but to read up and understand as much as I could about them.

I chose anery as they are just so beautifully marked, I'm not interested in breeding so knowing all about that stuff isnt important to me, I dont even know the sex of my snake though I am definitely referring to 'him' as a male. He is very good natured, a little jumpy at the moment, but gaining confidence all the time, I'd actually only had him 2 days when I first handled him, that was his choice not mine, I was changing his water, he was hidden away and decided that a break for freedom was in order and the quickest way was up my arm. I have spent a small fortune on the best kit to ensure, temperature & humidity levels are perfect for him, its a price worth paying for his health and well being. He is currently eating well (in a seperate feeding tub), 1 pinkie a week but very soon will be moving to fuzzies as he is growing at an amazing rate, almost an inch a week so far. He has however been a bit shy for around 2 days now, I'm not one to pester or over fuss so I'll open the door, if he wants out he can (which he usually does) if not that fine. He is'nt looking quite as shiny as before so its my guess he is due a shed and thats why he is not venturing out of his hides for more than a minute or two.

I suppose its only been 3 weeks and I still have a lot to learn, and luckily for me Spot is good natured enough to put up with me while I do.

I will try post some pictures of him as soon as I figure this site out, I have some lovely ones and a good feeding video where he eats, I pop him back in the viv and he goes for a drink as anadded bonus. I have managed to upload to youtube not sure youtube links are allowed so sorry if its not. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRfZ0IWI9Kw

Sorry for the very long post. Very excited about my first snake.

Rob

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome to you and Spot
glad we have been able to help you already!
spot is lovely

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:24:02  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum :)
anerys are a great morph

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. He's lovely. Youtube links are fine,theres a video section on here with a fair few

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I would say the best morphs are anery though I'm sure many will disagree, lol. Spot is a very good climber (I'm sure most are) so I oven baked some small apple tree branches stripped the bark smoothed down any rough bits and then lashed it together with string to make a brill little climbing frame. (Only took 2 days lol) He's always on it, he even spent 48 hours curled up at the top of it after his last feed. The branches aren't very thick so it will only do him while he is small but if it keeps him fit and strong then it cant be a bad thing. I've also found it much easier to handle him with a towel on my knee, that way you can let him down without him disappearing into folds of your clothing, down the back of the sofa etc, I use the same towel so its also familiar for him.

I'm glad you like my video, I could watch it all day long its absolutely amazing.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  23:33:00  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome here :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  03:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob, its great that you have joined us and I am so pleased that you have found the forum so useful in coming to your decision to get Spot and then in making sure everything is ok for him. You will have already seen how great it is, with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

It is obvious you have already made good use of the TCS site and forum and found that it provides great information. The only place I will point you to that you may have missed but has great information in the set-up and care of a hatchling is Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Having mentioned the digital thermometer, I noticed in your video that Spot's viv has what looks like 2 dial thermometers monitoring the temperature. If that is wrong then I am really sorry and just skip the next bit !! Dial thermometers are about as good as an ejector seat in a helicopter (to quote another forum member). The most accurate way to monitor the heat in Spot's viv is with a digital thermometer. A lot of us use these digital thermometers - which are cheap but, more importantly, are accurate and arrive quickly. Are you heating the viv with a heatmat controlled by a stat? Another observation is purely about the size of the viv. Normally you would start a hatchling off in a faun/RUB and move it up in size of enclosure as it grows....Spot seems very small in his big home! It probably isnt a problem, and going by your description of him he seems a very laid back and settled snake, but a way around it is to fill it as much as possible with plants and different hides, to give him as much cover and security as possible. Please dont think I am being critical, just trying to help .

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this with Spot, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

You have done better than the unwritten forum rule of pics as soon as possible....you have posted a wonderful video! This link will help you to put up the lovely pics you mention - How to - Post images using photobucket

He is a stunning looking snake and how I imagine my Silvesta would have looked when he was a baby (I've only had him as an adult). You mention you are feeding him on 1 pinkie every 7 days. We would usually advise to feed every 5-6 days and once the bump is less noticeable when he has eaten the pinkie then increase it to 2 pinkies before you do the jump to fuzzies. He certainly took that pinkie well, I love watching them work their way round to the head to eat (although quite a few get it wrong and eat their dinner bum first , which isnt a problem) and I can never get over how wide their neck's stretch as they work their dinner down.

It certainly does sound as though he is heading for a shed. If you havent already, it may be worthwhile reading Shedding and dealing with shedding problems so you know what to expect and what to look for. I do hope you get to see him shed .

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  07:17:27  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
I love the idea of a snake climbing frame!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  08:44:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

my first corn was an anery.........good choice

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  13:25:54  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome!
Spot is lovely! :)

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  13:45:43  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  13:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice re digital thermometer/hygrometer I will invest immediately in one. I heat using bulb and dimming thermostat, the house is warm enough to maintain a good night time temperature (maybe, suppose I will find that out when I go digital). I was a little worried about him being too small for the viv but he settled in just fine and it has other plants, tubes and a climbing frame that are removed so I could put him back. I've also a bulb guard on order as he's getting pretty close to a length he could reach it, taking forever to be delivered though. The what to feed and when advice around seems very confusing so I just went with the reptile shops advice, he only seems to show signs of hunting behaviour on the Sunday (feed day) so I just took that as fine. He's like clockwork on the other end too, he eats Sunday, poos on Tuesday, and goes in the same corner which makes things easier.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  21:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK PEOPLE I KNOW YOU LIKE A GOOD PICTURE OR TWO SO HERE ARE A FEW OF SPOT.

This is Spot watching me watching him. He normally sits like this for a little while before venturing out.

I handle Spot with a towel on my knee to avoid any disappearing acts into clothing sofas etc.

I love this photo, he loves to climb, this was just before I built him a frame to climb on.

And this is the frame I built for him, its not the best photo but its amazing how much entertainment you can provide a snake with some sticks and string.

May be a while until I can get more pictures, he is been very antisocial, hasnt gone blue yet but skin has gone very dull.

OH AND THANKS FOR ADVICE ON THOSE RUBBISH MECANICAL THERMOMETERS, PICKED A DIGITAL ONE UP ON THE WAY HOME FROM WORK AND YOU WERE CORRRECT IT WAS 5 DEGREES OUT, SO STARTING AGAIN SETTING UP THE STAT ETC.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  21:18:15  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's really gorgeous!
Glad you've got yourself a digital therm, much more reliable.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  19:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutly, happy to report my night time temp is still good. The mechanical thermometer is now keeping a watch on the temperature of my bin. Spot has been in his hide now for 4 days, I've seen him come out briefly most days and yesterday I moved him so I could set up the new thermometer, he wasnt overly impressed with the intrusion but he's in good health so cant really complain, he didnt strike out when I picked him up though I would say his sight is impaired at the moment as he did seem to jump as if he didnt see my hand coming, so my guess of about to shed would appear correct. Would anyone know on average how often a hatchling sheds, he has grown approx 3-4 inches in 3 weeks and gained a gram in weight so would this seem about right?

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  22:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot just had his first fuzzy. It was a very small fuzzy but a fuzzy all the same.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  22:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, its great to watch them feed

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  01:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep amazes me every time. I weigh him before a feed and he's put on 2 grams this week, probably because he hasn't done anything but hide away this week. He was scratching his face on the wood hide too so I'd say his shed is imminent, fingers crossed anyway.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000