Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Matstat issue, yeah I know, ANOTHER one lol.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  22:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've switched Ember over from a heat bulb to a mat because of a winter it's hard to keep her warm because my mum refuses to use too much electricity.

So. I've hooked her mat up to its stat, I've had it on for a few days in a hope that it'll warm up suitably but I'm finding that it's not turning on. I bought it off of the blue reptile website, and it's suppose to be a habistat stat.

Is this normal for those kind of stats? I have Loki on the exact same stat and mat, and it works fine, but I did have issues getting the stat to turn on and off at regular intervals when I first got his too.

I did something to make it work, but I can't remember what. I've checked the plugs, turned the dial all the way up and down and it's just not staying on. It'll stay on until it reaches about 25 oC then that's it, no luck.

Any ideas? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Cheers! =]

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  07:51:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
where are your stat and thermometer probes hun?
is there too much substrate over the mat?

make sure it's all plugged in right - stat into the mains, heatmat into the stat
ignore the numbers on the stat's dial and turn it up or down according to what the thermometer reads

but at the end of the day it's an on/off type stat that will have a bit of fluctuation

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  13:34:36  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep just to echo what GP says, where are your probes for you thermometer and thermostat? Ideally they should be in direct contact with the mat preferably rubber banded together. If they are and you are still getting that much fluctuation there is prob something wrong with the stat. I have had a couple of habistats go wrong on me.

cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  15:11:56  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The probes are both directly on top of the mat, about half an inch of substrate on top with a hide on top as well. It works, as in it will come on if I raise the dial, but I just can't seem to get it to come on after that to regulate =/ I'm going on holiday this saturday, so would it work if I used a double plug socket plugged in to the working stat? Or would that mess things up?

I really don't want to leave her without heat whilst I'm away =/ I've taken the bulb and bulb guard out already, so if this doesn't work I may have to put them back in.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  15:36:57  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest I dont think the double plug idea will improve things. Plugging two stats into one heatmat (not sure how you would do it anyway) is not likely to work (if thats what you mean). I certainly wouldnt run the bulb and heatmat off one stat thats a bad idea. Sounds to me like you got a buggered stat. Think the best thing you can do is go into a shop buy a new stat and return the one you have. With an on/off stat there will be some variance as they are not as accurate as say a pulse proportional stat but having said that it should be able to get to temps higher than 25d. I had two of them go wrong on me in the same way...massive variation of temps. They would let the temp drop to like 24d then come on and not go off again till the temp was well over 30. The two i got now (exactly the same model) keep temps to within +- a couple of degrees. Someone on here with more experience may tell you leaving the heat mat off while you are away (for however long) will be okay if you dont feed said snake but personally i wouldnt let a snake go without heat id just suffer the cost and buy a new stat or else reinstate the bulb until you get back. Afterall you wouldnt be too impressed if your landlord went on holiday to spain while your heating was broke lol

cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 06/10/2010 15:43:48
Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No no, I meant running her mat and Loki's mat off the same stat. There's a thread discussing it and most of the experts say there's no problem doing it. I might give it a go now, to see if it works. If not, she'll be back on her bulb and stat.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:35:21  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think as long as the wattage of the 2 mats are under the maximum that the stat will take you will be okay (btw Habistat Mat Stats can take up to 100 watts).

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:35:58  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are both of the mats the same size? If so this will work fine plugging both into one stat, if not I dont think the temps will be right, plus the wattage(or at least thats what I think it is) of both added together should be less than the one that the mat can take, so if the mat is 100 the mats must both be the same and less than 50 each. I hope Im making sense?
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:36:49  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oops, you sent that while I was typing, hehe. Sorry for repeating! :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:54:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
running multiple mats off one stat can be done (and i do it myself) but the risk is if the heatmat without the stat probe on it goes wrong then the stat won't switch it off.
i'm not sure if it's a good idea to change to this kind of set up just before you go away........i'd be inclined to run each mat off a separate stat till you get back and one of them might just have to be a little cooler till you get back

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000