My adult Amil won't eat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  16:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My adult snake is 5"4' and has been eating regular since we got him around 6 months ago.

However, there was an incident a few months back where I accidently poked him with my tongs. It wasn't hard, but he jumped and gave us both a fright (both me and the snake) and since then he's been difficult to feed. As it stands its around 3-4 weeks since he last ate anything. I know, I know, snakes can go months without eating, but he's a big boy and this isn't like him at all. At most it was 2 weeks before he ate, a week late. Also, after he's shed he's usually very hungry, this time around he won't touch the food. He literally hides from it.

I've just tried feeding him and he's having none of it. I can't tell if he's lost weight, he doesn't seem to have done, but he's getting me and my girlfriend very worried. But as I say he's more bothered about hiding than anything else and we're going through mice that are just getting wasted (a waste of life, really, if we defrost it and he doesn't eat)

I'm very worried about him. His temperment is as usual, very, very placid. I don't think he's ill, but we always feel lots better after he's eaten.

Please help :(

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:13:35  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try going down a mouse size or two and leaving him with it overnight. Don't worry that's it's not the normal size he has, that can be dealt with when he's feeding again.
I assume you've done all the normal things like warming it, squeezing some blood out of it's nose etc?
I know it's easy for me to say but try not to worry too much.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 04/10/2010 17:14:08
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

We did move up a size to what he was apparently used to. But he fed on one of them last time, but won't this time. I've warmed them up using hot water, a baggy and a jar. Sitting on it for an hour to bring it to my body temperature, etc. The ones we've been getting have all had a nose bleed when defrosting, so there's blood about.

I've covered his viv right now and left him with it (that's how we've fed him the last few times, previous to that he used to strike and take them from the tongs)

I just don't know when to tell if he's hungry :(
Go to Top of Page

Covps2blue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  08:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any luck with him yet???

Syd a Carolina

Amber a Hypo Het lavender/Bloodred
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  10:08:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what are your temps and set-up like?

how long was he feeding well for you?

have you moved his enclosure or added or changed anything?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000