To Mist or Not To Mist That Is The Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  02:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, I have a question. Should I mist my enclosure everyday or only when going into shed? I watched a YouTube Video on this and the guy said that he didn't mist at all because it could cause Respiritory (sp) Problems for the Corn. Said he didn't really do it because the ambient humidity would be fine. Just checking, I have been misting occassionally but didn't want to do it if it would cause any harm. Thanks for your advice. - D

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  03:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ambient humidity is fine for corns they don't need misting at all. Mine don't get misting when in shed either they seem to get by just fine.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  03:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corns dont need any extra humidity all the time Donny and Aries may not even need the extra humidity when it comes to shedding time. The guy on YouTube was right that too much humidity can cause respiratory infections as well as scale rot and other problems.

I would suggest that you stop the misting you are doing, see how she sheds the first time and if she does a full clean shed then you know she is fine. If it comes off in pieces or she has any retained shed then you know that next time you need to give her some help.

One of mine used to shed in pieces and now, once he turns blue, I put an extra water bowl on his heatmat and give his viv just a few sprays once a day, no more....and now he is shedding beautifully (although I am still a nervous wreck until the shed is over ).

Well done for checking it out with us.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  08:37:35  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they do not misting but during shed i put my water bowl on the hot end to make it a tad more humid, or i put some water over her hide :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  09:52:19  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't mist at all. Like the others have said put water in the warm end. You could also add a hide with some damp, not wet, sphagnum moss in.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

meggi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
321 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  10:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don`t mist Tobby at all , in his shed he just takes a bath in his water bowl. :p
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  15:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,Loki shed for the first time 2 weeks ago and like you I wasn't sure whether to mist or not. Had a look on here and decided not to do it and see how it went. He shed perfectly without and it only took a couple of minutes. Very pleased and relieved I was

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  18:43:24  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
none of mine get misted either, and nothing to raise humidity during shed.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  04:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stotty01

........during shed i put my water bowl on the hot end to make it a tad more humid........

Better to put an extra water bowl in the warm end rather than move Medusa's normal water bowl....I doubt she wants to be drinking warm water !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  05:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
upon reading all of your posts, I immediately changed Aries bedding and have completely stopped misting. It seems that the majorty rules on this topic. Not to mist is the definte way to go from what I gather. Thank you all for your advice.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  11:16:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

none of mine get misted either, and nothing to raise humidity during shed.

mine are all as per eeji's.........
even my OAP corn that used to have problems shedding and needed a damp hide is now managing to shed completely on his own, yay!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  11:22:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jackdaniels007

It seems that the majorty rules on this topic.

one thing to bear in mind...........

although the tinterweb is a fantastic tool for researching, when looking into care of a particular species but getting conflicting advice it's always an idea to check where in the world that somebody is that's offering an opinion.

advice regarding humidity is an excellent example - normal UK humidity of 50ish% is fine for corns so most UK keepers would recommend not misting but in another part of the world (where the humidity is lower) an experienced keeper might advise daily misting (to raise the humidity to around 50%)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  15:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

normal UK humidity of 50ish% is fine for corns so most UK keepers would recommend not misting but in another part of the world

Yes, I agree humidity varies depending where you are on this rock called Earth. I checked into the averages for where I live and it ranges throughout the year from 79% during the day upwards to 89% then ranges from 54% upwards to about 65% in the afternoon. So misting won't be a problem here either.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  15:57:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jackdaniels007

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

normal UK humidity of 50ish% is fine for corns so most UK keepers would recommend not misting but in another part of the world

Yes, I agree humidity varies depending where you are on this rock called Earth. I checked into the averages for where I live and it ranges throughout the year from 79% during the day upwards to 89% then ranges from 54% upwards to about 65% in the afternoon. So misting won't be a problem here either.

Corn snakes originate from North America, so you should be fine.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Corn snakes originate from North America, so you should be fine.

Wow, didn't know that one. It's funny this forum and it's members are mostly in the UK. Hardly ever see a US member on here. One would almost think the Corns originated there instead of here. LOL.
I love this forum I'm on here as much as my girlfriend is on her Facebook. She thinks I'm weird but hey, I love it.

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  09:46:48  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
we dont use anything to raise the humidy in our corns, just leave it all as normal, they both shed perfectly so i dont wanna change anything incase it stops them shedding ok.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  10:22:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good call FSTL lol if it ain't broke don't try fixing it

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  13:37:25  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
very much agree with that saying lol learnt that from out python! always shed fine, moved him into a bigger rub now we are spending every shed trying to figure out something to help him with it... why did he have to get BIG pffft lol

Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  10:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When Sid is getting ready to shed I place an icecream tub filled with damp sphagnum moss inside her viv. With holes at both ends she can slither in and out when she needs to. And since sphagnum moss has some anti fungal properties it does not go mouldy if left damp for a week or two.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000