excessive nose rubbing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andys
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I have a 3.5 month old corn, all is basically well but over last week or say has been constantly nose rubbing. I've had him about 6 weeks.

The obvious assumption is that he's shedding, but I've not seen him blue recently at all (although he did hide for two days, but that was immediately after a feed), he's lively, "friendlier" than ever (despite still being VERY nervous only a week or so ago), eating and pooing just fine.

Mostly he's just rubbing stuff, but also jamming his jaw in the air vent slits of the faunarium, applying pressure until he slips off (sometimes noisily, and alomst violently).

If he's just taking ages to shed, thats fine - but can anyone think of any other reason for this behaviour ?

Since I've had him he shed once, perfectly, about 4 weeks ago, and very quickly.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts :)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:08:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my initial thought are just being nosey and trying to find an escape route, or something in his mouth or nose?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

andys
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

my initial thought are just being nosey and trying to find an escape route, or something in his mouth or nose?

Trying to find an escape route isnt new - in a curious kind of way (normal for all young corns it would seem), this is a little different though.

I had thought of that, I did manage to catch him when still and get a real good look, I didnt notice anything around mouth/nose, I'll certainly check again though.

Thanks mate :)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  03:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GP is the expert Andy and what she says is right, it does sound as though he is trying to escape....especially as it is mostly at the places where he has the most chance to escape - the air vent slits.

Is he doing it other places as well, like against hides, branches, etc? How long has he been doing it? Has he had a feed since he started doing it? (it sounds a bit like what they can do to re-align their jaws after eating, although a bit more violent)Has it been ever since his last shed? (in which case it could be a bit of old shed caught in a nostril)....Just some thoughts....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sika
Hatchling

350 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  12:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Sika's Homepage  Click to see Sika's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a baby corn who's doing it just 14 days before she sheds... Of what I have observed with her, she does it after a fed, and then she starts her shedding period...
Don't know if it means anything, but it's the only time she does it...

0.1 Corn snake - Motley Sunglow (Aia)
1.0 Hognose - normal (Vitus)
Go to Top of Page

andys
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  15:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for your thoughts. Ironically, it seems to have almost entirely stopped the very evening i posted this topic.

He was also rubbing against hides, which was why I originally thought he was shedding.

I managed to get some close up shots of his face, and had a real good look while handling. As far as I can see, everything is fine.

I'm going to assume he's just trying to keep me guessing :)
Go to Top of Page

Sika
Hatchling

350 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  15:55:25  Show Profile  Visit Sika's Homepage  Click to see Sika's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
See if he doesn't shed in a couple of weeks ;)
Please update me :)

0.1 Corn snake - Motley Sunglow (Aia)
1.0 Hognose - normal (Vitus)
Go to Top of Page

andys
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  13:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update as requested. Shed a a week or so after (which was expected really). Still behaves like this occasionally since then (but much) less, and mostly after being handled. I've but this down to a simple desire to escape !

Thanks again everybody.
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  15:24:32  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found that when my snake first moved in she spent a few days trying different escape routes. For a while she would try to push the roof up, then she tried digging and then she resorted to nose rubbing on everything. After a while she realised she couldn't get out but would still try and push the roof up now and then. It sounds like your snake was doing a similar thing.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  16:01:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
glad all is well

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  21:29:23  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tiko does this in his faun, he rubs his face up the vents and bobs his tongue out for a while, then ribs some more then falls off, then gets bored and goes to sleep. I think he can probably feel cool air around the vents so is probably looking for a way out. He does this every day for about 5 mins. I am not worried as he will be in his viv soon and also 5 mins seems reasonable to have a nosey (no pun intended) around.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  21:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot is also does this. With the vents and the tiny gap in the glass doors where they meet he is definitely just testing the gap for escape. He also does it after a feed and after a drink. Its totally normaland nothing to worry about unless there is sign of injury or illness.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  03:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

glad all is well

Ditto !

xxx