Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 not feeding and ran out of ideas/solutions.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

luke1989
Hatchling

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  22:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as said in the title, my snake ivy who is 2 years and 11 months now has only recently developed feeding issues.

i have always fed her regularly up until now.

she hasnt eaten now for 2 months and im getting worried, she is not looking thin but is showing no interest in mice what so ever. she dosent even acknowledge their existance.

i have tried everything in the not feeding post, even force feeding but she wriggles and spits it straight back out. i dont want to keep on at this one really as it stresses her.

she spends all of her time in her hide. never ever comes out.

i recentley moved her from my bedroom to down stairs with my beardies, and she fed fime for a month or so and then stopped, i have now over the last week moved her back into my bedroom to see if that was an issue but no improvement.

also i cant afford vet bills right now as i have shelled out for my beardies impaction and a rabbits castration.

any suggestions?

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  22:20:43  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont know if it will work with beardies but corns are supposed to like the scent of lizards - would rubbing the food item in the beardies viv to get the scent work? maybe some 1 with more experience can shed sum light

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  22:52:03  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wonder if she's reacting to the seasons and slowing down for the winter?
She is coming up to breeding age so it might be a possibility.
Is she in the cool hide?

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

luke1989
Hatchling

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  23:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no she is in the warm hide.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  03:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you double checked everything with her viv set-up Luke? (I am sure you have already but thought it worth suggesting). You say she is in her warm hide, what temp is the warm end?

Do you weigh her regularly? If not then I suggest you start doing it so you can tell whether she is losing weight. It is easy to get digital scales from Argos or somewhere like that, weigh a shoe box with air holes in it, zero the scales, put her in the box and then you have her weight.

How is she when you handle her, is her behaviour normal?

Make sure you only offer her food on her normal feeding schedule rather than be tempted to try more often as this will stress her.

I cant remember off hand what is suggested in the non-feeder thread, but have you tried her with a smaller prey item than she is used to?

I have read on here that smearing tuna juice on the mouse can sometimes work....or if you have a friend who has mice/hamsters/rats that you could rub the dead mouse against to get the scent of fresh prey (although I guess the smell would dissipate unless they are nearby)....sorry, just trying to think of anything that may help.

The behaviour she is showing when offered food sounds exactly like my males when they were horny, no interest at all and nothing I did could tempt them.

I am sure someone with more experience will be along soon to offer you some advice on what you can do.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000