confused about Substrate :-(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  17:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello all i am a new corn snake owner, so i took myself to the local pet shop today a diffrent pet shop to where i brought my snake from, and the lady tells me i am useing the wrong Substrate? at the moment i am useing aspen bed terrain, and the lady at the pet shop said i should be useing wood chippings. so i am confused now my snake is about one year old can you help me please thanks all.

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  17:34:18  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't worry. A lot of us on here use aspen. Some also use woodchips. Neither is right or wrong. It's personal choice. If you look on the caresheet, via the homepage, it gives you information on various substrates. Don't forget the petshop is there to make money so they will try to sell you whatever they earn the most from!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  17:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there thats what i was thinking there just out for the money!
Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  18:44:22  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was also told I could only use wood chip (even though I knew i could use aspen from reading up) my pet shop sold me a small bag for like 10 pound or something! ripoff!
Stick to aspen, it's cheaper and they burrow better (if yours is a burrower) mine is!
:)

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  20:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
link to substrate worth a read. substrate

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  21:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine is not doing much at the moment but not had him long, i will be feeding him for the first time tomz, any tips?
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  23:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
defrost pinky, leave it in overnight if he doesnt take it straight away, thats about all there is to it.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  23:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,I myself am a newbie. Had my little un for just over 6 weeks now (he's only about 2 and a half months old). I'm no expert,but I use aspen as a substrate and Loki loves making tunnels in it.
If you're owt like me you'll be feeling pretty nervous about his first feed. Know I was,I put him in a different box for feeding and left him to it. Checked from across the room after 5 minutes and he was still wandering about. After 40 mins I went over thinking he'd not fed. Turned out the little tinker had found and eaten well within 5 mins!!!
I put his food in afreezer bag and place it in a mug of warm (not hot) water to defrost and I've had no problems at all. Good luck

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  04:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

........I put his food in afreezer bag and place it in a mug of warm (not hot) water to defrost and I've had no problems at all. Good luck

I am not sure where I read it and I am almost sure that is was something GP said (although my brain fog is seriously bad tonight so I could be totally wrong ) but from what I understand it is better to let the food defrost naturally over a few hours/overnight, rather than defrost it quickly using water or a microwave. Something to do with ice-crystals in the internal organs I think....

Sorry, not very helpful I know!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  09:36:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that method is ok for fuzzies and pinkies as long as you make sure they're fully defrosted all the way through.
it's NOT a great method for larger food items though as the outsides tend to cook while the insides remain frozen. defrosting slowly at room temp before heating immediately prior to feeding will ensure it's fully defrosted and avoids 'cooking' by prolonged exposure to heat

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  09:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,thanks for that advice
Its pinkies that I'm feeding Loki on at the mo. I had read something about the ice crystal thing before I got him,might have been on here,I'm not sure as I was on an information overload before I got him!!
I put the pinkie in a freezer bag in just warm water and get it out now and again to give it a squeeze and see if its warmed through totally......usually about 30 mins. I'll never look at jelly babies in the same way now!!
Once Loki's moved up to bigger ones I'll be letting them defrost at room temperature and then warm them in the same way. Hope thats ok?

Cheers again

0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:06:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

I'll never look at jelly babies in the same way now!!

ewww! neither will i now lol

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  17:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol,sorry!!

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  04:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

that method is ok for fuzzies and pinkies as long as you make sure they're fully defrosted all the way through.
it's NOT a great method for larger food items though as the outsides tend to cook while the insides remain frozen. defrosting slowly at room temp before heating immediately prior to feeding will ensure it's fully defrosted and avoids 'cooking' by prolonged exposure to heat

Thanks for putting me right GP , knew I had read somewhere that it was better to defrost naturally but didnt realise it only applied to the larger food items. I stand corrected !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  10:38:04  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm sure it's best for anything to thaw naturally, just you can get away with hurrying things up with smaller food items lol

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soooo is what I do ok then? Hope I don't sound like a stress head,but I love the little fella!

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  10:10:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it won't be doing any harm at all, don't panic lol

but you may find you have to change your defrosting method in the future when the mice are bigger

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  11:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phew,thats ok then!!
Only planned to do it with pinkies anyway as they are so little . Don't even think I'd risk it once he's onto fuzzies lol

Thanks for reassuring me

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Ashcrack
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  12:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love aspen, it's so much easier to find and pick up their poo aswell.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000