aggresive hatchling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  15:40:28  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my newest snake bo is really aggresive (very bitey, tail rattling) he is only young 6/7 weeks old and i understand at this age they can be, but instead of getting better with handling he's getting worse!
his temps are fine and he has plenty of hides and cover. I was thinking maybe another weeks hands off period might let him settle more? any tips and advice would be appreciated because he's becoming a little terror !!!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  19:53:13  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
any 1? its just he's becoming hard work which i dont mind too much as its part of beign a snake owner, but need some advice 2 make it easier for him and me!!!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  20:01:16  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just stick with it and let him know he doesn't scare you. He's showing natural behaviour and should eventually grow out of it by 6 months old

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  20:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like our zero..when he rattles and strikes at you do you back away? if you do then its probably fuelling his idea that it scares you off making him do it more, just bite the bullet and pick him up - once he settles in your hand he should calm down a bit and then just build it up from there - our zero has calmed down a lot since we got him and is turning into a really sweet snake

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  20:05:48  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hiya

Phoenix was bitey and tail rattley when I first got her but the more I've handled her the better she is getting. Shes not quite as bitey but still rattles her tail at me. She is older than an Bo though, she is nearly 11 weeks old, so it may be cos he is young that is causing him to be so aggressive.

Maybe do another week of no handling and see how he is after that.

Good luck.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  20:32:11  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks guys - so just gettin on with it is the best approach then?

@ HannahB - 9 times out of ten i just let him chomp away! But as he's beign gettin worse i have started backing away unintentionaly just reflex really even tho i know i shouldnt

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  21:25:17  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mine was moody when he hatched and then he got really moody 3 months later! Started trying to bite me through his TUB. He has calmed down a lot now though. I handled him 5 mins every morning and evening and he's better now, evenings are the worst!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  22:10:14  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hmm 5 min morning and 5 night? think i'll try that cos he usally gets 15-20 min in 1 session every day (exept 48 hrs after a feed)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  22:59:18  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I called into a friend of mine he had a young snake who was biting him almost constantly. He told me that whenever he gets one like that he always waits until it has settled down before he puts it back in it's faun, otherwise it thinks if it bites it's won and gets it's own way. He breeds snakes and has many years of experience so I trust his word.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  00:36:06  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well something wierd happend 2nite! my girlfriend who used to be terrified of snakes handled him and he was cool as a cucumber! i then handled him and he tried to bite me! gave him back to girlfriend, calm again!! so now my girlfriend has taken an intrest so i gave him 2 her!! (we live 2gether!) and her response was well now he's mine we will have to get you another snake!!! win - win!!!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  01:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHA hes mine nw mr!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  01:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look at MY pretty snake whos is he ummm mine i think thank u!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  02:01:33  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyd_24

well something wierd happend 2nite! my girlfriend who used to be terrified of snakes handled him and he was cool as a cucumber! i then handled him and he tried to bite me! gave him back to girlfriend, calm again!! so now my girlfriend has taken an intrest so i gave him 2 her!! (we live 2gether!) and her response was well now he's mine we will have to get you another snake!!! win - win!!!

Get a king.

Nuff said.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  05:02:31  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

hmm 5 min morning and 5 night? think i'll try that cos he usally gets 15-20 min in 1 session every day (exept 48 hrs after a feed)

This is only my opinion, but I think 15-20 minutes handling is too much for such a young snake.

My son handles Tango for that length of time now and he is just over a year old.

When was Bo born just out of interest?

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  05:05:55  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

When I called into a friend of mine he had a young snake who was biting him almost constantly. He told me that whenever he gets one like that he always waits until it has settled down before he puts it back in it's faun, otherwise it thinks if it bites it's won and gets it's own way. He breeds snakes and has many years of experience so I trust his word.

I read exactly the same bit of info in the Comprehensive Snake Manual, its something definitely worth listening too.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  05:14:04  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thats interesting, I wonder whether you were tense when holding Bo which would transfer to him making him twitchy.

But giving him to your girlfriend who isn't tense when holding him would make him calm down straight away.

A strange one definitely eh.

But now she gets a lovely snake with ****y bow on his head and you can get another snakie, definitely a win win situation.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  05:20:46  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madsjd

look at MY pretty snake whos is he ummm mine i think thank u!!!!

Hello and welcome

Thats a very pretty snake YOU have there.

Are you planning on stealing any more snakes from your OH lol lol?

I'd be careful you know, having snakes is addictive and now you both have them you could end up with double the amount of snakes lol.

Best of luck with Bo.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  09:46:06  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So the little snake decided who it should belong to lol

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  05:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryanred5

quote:

This is only my opinion, but I think 15-20 minutes handling is too much for such a young snake.

My son handles Tango for that length of time now and he is just over a year old........

Definitely agree with you. When you start handling a snake, of any age, you need to start slowly....a case of quality not quantity. A maximum of 5 mins twice a day is more than enough, especially if your snake is so young and new to you (and has been twitchy originally).

Kellog is 5yrs old and Silvesta 4yrs old and I generally only get them out for 20/30 minutes maximum.....I feel anything longer will either stress them or over-tire them. And remember, they are YEARS older than Bo.

quote:
Originally posted by ryanred5

quote:

well something wierd happend 2nite! my girlfriend who used to be terrified of snakes handled him and he was cool as a cucumber! i then handled him and he tried to bite me! gave him back to girlfriend, calm again!!.......

Thats interesting, I wonder whether you were tense when holding Bo which would transfer to him making him twitchy.

But giving him to your girlfriend who isn't tense when holding him would make him calm down straight away......

It is even more strange though, cos I would have thought Mikey would be the more confident to begin with having had experience with TaLuLa, although I can understand that he was beginning to tense up as Bo continued to strike at him....whereas Madsjd, who used to be terrified of snakes, didnt get the same reaction from Bo....

Corns....never a text book case!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  13:28:19  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the fact he was biting me didnt bother me much at all it was just i didnt like seeing him so stressed - but he's the total opposite with the OH

@ kehhlyr - it just mite be a cali king on the way in the next few days! or an african house snake cant make my mind up!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!

Edited by - mikeyd_26 on 02/10/2010 13:30:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic